Main Menu

Why is there no Highlander at the WMCQ Weekend 2015?

Started by derStefan82, 17-08-2015, 05:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derStefan82

Hey guys,

I've read the announcement of the WMCQ Weekend in Frankfurt (organized by Jens K.) and noticed that there are Tiny Leaders Cups on both event days.

As the Highlander tournaments are always the biggest format beside ptq (bigger then the legacy or vintage ones) I was wondering why there is no Highlander Cup / event there.

Has anyone spoken with Jens?

Maqi

Spoke to mitja. He doesnt know why theres no hl. But seems to be no typo. Which is lame.

Dr. Opossum

The following is the explanation from JK Entertainment:

JK works together with a new Event Manager now. He removes HL from the Weekends Events, because the WMCQ was not planned as a bigger 2-day event (like the other events, that included a Highlander Cup). WotC announced, that the WMCQ has to have 2 days (day 1: Swiss, day 2: Top 8 ). To be able to use the 2 days more effectively, they added some side events.

JK thinks, that HL players would not play a combination of the other announced formats and Highlander or would travel for a Highlander side event only.

But there is a demand for Tiny Leaders, so they will offer small Tiny Leaders side events.

JK Entertainment will host 3 bigger non-WMCQ Events. One of them will be the PPTQ on Sunday and the other 2 will be a Legacy and a Modern Event. All of them will most likely have more participants than a HL-Event, that was not announced as a Highlander Cup in advance.

Bat

"There is a demand for Tiny Leaders"

Lol wut?

The last TL event at a JK weekend had 11 players O_o

derStefan82

I think there where more highlander players then legacy players on a lot of the JK events I visited so far.

Would have wished that one of the Tiny Leaders Cups will be a Highlander one even if it's only a 32-64 players event because of tournament size.

But 2 Tiny Leaders Cups and no Highlander kind of sucks.

Maqi

Quote from: derStefan82 on 18-08-2015, 10:27:53 AM
I think there where more highlander players then legacy players on a lot of the JK events I visited so far.

True. Last JK, Legacy had 65ish players. HL above 80.

haju

Quote from: Dr. Opossum on 18-08-2015, 02:25:08 AM
[...] JK thinks, that HL players would not play a combination of the other announced formats and Highlander or would travel for a Highlander side event only. [...]

And since HL Players hate to travel for just one event, there were 48 players at MGM3, 47 at MGM2, 53 at MGM1, and 30 at the Highlander Bash. And all those events lasted just one day.

W0lf

The next mgm will be in November.
Just come here and beat the odds

ChristophO

There were ~7 guys from Hamburg at the RPTQ/Legacy (Saturday) ; Modern/Highlander (Sunday) Event.

All of us played Highlander on Sunday and 6 of us had Highlander as the reason to come.
The Hamburg crowd also likes to travel to HL tourneys just for 1 day events.
Hopefulyl we will make it to Berlin again, soon. the alst couple of times things just did not "fit"
schedule-wise.

I guess if JK stops promoting Hl this will only shift our attention towards Berlin (its closer anyways).

Bat

The last Cup ist just a "few" months ago, so maybe not every JK event can host a big HL Cup... 
I think we will see the next HL Cup by JK in the Winter like the last years

Maqi

Quote from: Bat on 18-08-2015, 04:53:33 PM
The last Cup ist just a "few" months ago, so maybe not every JK event can host a big HL Cup... 
I think we will see the next HL Cup by JK in the Winter like the last years

Yes. This would not have been a Cup. The whole affair shouldn't be that upsetting in the end. There was some informal talk that there would be a HL event during WMCQ weekend. But now there is none and that caused a little disappointment. That's all.

Dr. Opossum

Quote from: haju on 18-08-2015, 02:19:15 PM

And since HL Players hate to travel for just one event, there were 48 players at MGM3, 47 at MGM2, 53 at MGM1, and 30 at the Highlander Bash. And all those events lasted just one day.

I don't understand why you get daunted by the WMCQ Weekend. If JK would had offered a HL tournament, it would be a little afternoon Tournament only,
with at most 5 rounds and without a top 8, starting at 4pm. Would people really travel for that?

Quote from: ChristophO on 18-08-2015, 04:25:33 PM

I guess if JK stops promoting Hl this will only shift our attention towards Berlin (its closer anyways).

The fact, that there won't be a HL event, is no sign, that he will stop promoting HL at all. He just thinks offering Highlander Cups in an excessive way is just not sensible, because it could influence the number of participants. Besides that, it would have been very short-dated, especially with the integration of an additional trial phase.

I can see your disappointment, but the conclusion to completely refocus, is a little prematurely i think. If there is a wish for a HL tournament send a Mail to JK. He has tried to realize players wishes, whenever the demand was high enough. So, as Bat and Maqi already said: Keep calm. :)

But of course I, as someone from Berlin, would be happy about a visit by players from Hamburg and other communities.  ;)

derStefan82

See it similar as the above people and did not intended to open a big criticize.

The big Highlander Cups by Jens K. are great and he shows great support for the Format (even introducing an FNM in addition).

Having no Highlander Cup at the WMCQ event as there are already enough big formats is fine for me as well.

I was only wondering why there is not a smaller 5 round Highlander event + a smaller 5 round Tiny leaders event instead of two times Tiny leaders.

Was more looking if people are interested in suggesting this to Jens in advance.