[HLL]Scoreboard - Season V

Started by Vazdru, 04-01-2009, 01:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vazdru

Have some good games & enjoy!
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Mythrandir

Mythrandir's 5CC VS Nkiro RW land-destruction?

2-0

Game 1: he played first. We started dropping some lands, i dropped krosan verge + darksteel which give me a good mana start. he played land tax and started thinning his deck. i played hide/SEEK and saw a lot of nonbasic hate + LD, RFG ruination. He played some critters, serra avenger + valor i got rid of serra and played goyf + Doran. HE RFG doran.. i played (an awesome, with counters) FOF eot and my goyf was already a 7/8 he tried to take care of my goyf but i had counters and won the game.

Game 2: he played land + sensei (nice). i played lands + darksteel ingot. He searched for blood moon but i had a very good hand, intuition, gifts, and pernicious deed. I eventually played deed and destroyed his fire shrine, 1 mana artifact and blood moon. i played some creatures, elephant tokens, eternal witness but he had a magus of the moat with a ghostly prison preventing from attacking. eventually i playd gifts for glen +  counterspeel + exalted + lightnin helix. kept the last 2. Morphed angel and necromancy on glen. glen countered a ROUT and a LD spell. Eventually i won with the angel + a stoic angel. he had only balefire liege and was playing by top.

ggs, but i think his deck could be improved, i told him to post it here in the forum so we can give some opinions :)

Nastaboi

Nastaboi W Stax vs. MErcator BG Midrange

2-1

MErcator played some beaters while I had Exalted Angel. Unfortunately he had Wordly Tutor, which found Bone Shredder. I stalled at four mana with Catastrophe in hand while he refused to play lands to activate my late drawn Land Tax, and I got overrun.

Second game, I had all the mana but no real action. Storage Matrix slowed both of us down, and my decree tokens killed his Garruk. Then I found a Mindslaver, and made him play Liliana and use it to discard Deed. Two token attacks made toast of another plainswalker. Mercator tried to get into game with Wickerbough Elder, but I slaved him again with help from Mine Excavation and killed his board when he decided to attack with Negator Totem on my tokens.

Third game was poor on events. Mercator had to mulligan to five and Thoughtseize Ghostly Prison as I was holding Ravages of War. I locked his board with Sphere of Resistance and two tappers, and finished him with manlands and Karn.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

grizzledmage

Grizzledmage MGA vs. Payron UW

2-1

Game 1 I get on OK start with BoP and Vexing Shusher, but my development is kind of slow. He repeals my Shusher and gets Epochrasite going, and soon he steals Shusher with Sower of Temptation. I get Spectral Force but his Control Magic ends that. He is beating me down with my creatures; I still have a chance if I can draw a decent battle trick for my one flier (BoP) but no such luck - in fact he takes it also with Threads of Disloyalty.

Games 2-3 he gets more lands than he needs; although I have a very slow start in Game 2 with only 1 mana source I am able to play enough 1CC creatures to maintain some pressure despite his Maze of Ith; when more lands finally come and I can get other things going (Tarmagoyf, Elephant Guide, etc) and finally alpha attack to get enough damage through. Game 3 things are more of a standoff; his Turn 1 Mother of Runes slows me down considerably (I make at least 1-2 blunders while trying to play around it). A key play is Murkfiend Liege which he immediately steals with a new Vedalken Shackles; lucky for me I have been holding Krosan Grip for a while to end that problem. Another alpha attack wins the match for me.

GG's !!

Ludwitch

Ludwitch (RDW) - Georg B (BW Aggro) 2:1

First game: Skirk Prospector and Dwarven Blastminer, which 3rd turn destroyed Georg's nonbasic. Then he was stuck on 1 land and conceded to a goblin recruiter.
Second game: Now on the other side Aether Vial and Silver Knight in the first 2 turns, followed by Dark Confidant and Soltari Foot Soldier. A lonely Goblin Warchief got shriekmawed and Ravages of War closed the deal.

Game 3 was a little more exciting. Again Vial and Knight, but on the Goblin side were Mutavault and Mogg Flunkies. So Georg was on 12 after vialing in the Knight and blocking the Mutavault in the second attack. Now the Flunkies had to wait for company. And it came in the form of a hardcast Gempalm Incinerate (first time ever) and a Boartusk Liege, while Georg played a Figure of Destiny, which instantly was 4/4. He also fetched a land, going to 11. Ludwitch played Grafted Wargear, equipped the Liege and went all in. The Figure blocked the Incinerator and the Knight the Liege and Georg took 8 damage, going to 3. Had the Knight blocked the Flunkies, it would have been only 6 damage. But being in Lightning Bolt range, the very same finished the match.

Vazdru

coldcrow (Ub-Staxx) - Vazdru (UGW-Oath)

an awesome matchup for both of us  :o

1: He was some kind of mana-screwed after i've countered Thran Dynamo and another Mana-Artifact. He was still on three lands when i already dropped my 8th one. Rising Waters made it difficult for me to use my huge manabase and my Life-from-the-loam-engine (LftL + 2 Cycle-lands) or even Sensei's. Fortunately i've found Krosan Grip to get rid off that nasty Enchantment. After a while i've got replenish with a graveyard full of Enchantment-Goodies (Land Tax, Moat, Oath!...). I had enough Counter-Backup (Dissipate, Faerie Trickery, Condescend) and Forbidden Orchy so a turn later Hellkite appeared and immediately turned into the red zone. As i handled Diabolic and Chainer's Edict his fate was sealed.

2: He had a great start with Workshop + Worn Powerstone. Next turn he played Island + Thran Dynamo and had already 9 Mana for casting artifacts while i've had a single land in play. After Trinket Mage + Sensei's + Tangle Wire he finally ran out of gas. So i just played Oath and waited one turn. My Empyrial Archangel looked much better than his Trinket Mage and this time he had no edicts but Wipe Away which was an edgeless weapon in the end.

0:2

GGs!   
Far below the earth

Payron

Payron(UW skies "Vazdru's Vers") - pyyhttu (WW)

2:0

1st game: first round Latern Kami second round Curiosity + Mana tithe on some creature ... actulay I guess that was just game could protect my kami with counters and did jsut draw good stuff gg ... I rly think the card advantag won

2nd game: Second game I startet with Mox Diamond - land - Looter, right now I just remember that he was mana scrwed and I won with high card advantage because of Mask of memory and looter ...but he was also pretty much scrwed on 2 lands

gg'S

Vazdru

Mythrandir (5CC) - Vazdru (UW Fish)

1: He rolled 20 and played first. I've kept one land and took 6 new ones to get 2 more lands which were quite enough. My first play was Seal of Cleansing turn 2 and Trinket Mage Turn 3 for Relic of Progenitus which is a strong weapon vs his 5CC. During the game i was able to remove Mystical Teachings and Call of the Herd to avoid card disadvantage. A Maze of Ith slowed me down so i was unable to deal much pressure on him. Azorius Herald + Sword of Fire and Ice were my next plays while he played Call of the Herd and some Cantrips. My mainphase Venser bounced his Maze and Azorius got a fiery sword and dealt 6 dam. My Winter Orb looked good as well but unfortunately he's got Krosan Grip to handle it. My Sigil of Distinction had 6 counters when i've played it and my Trinket Mage became giantic! Again Mythrandir had the right answer: HIDE/Seek for the Sigil and block Trinket Mage with his Elephant Token. Mythrandir had some problems fo find a black Mana so he decided to play Eladamri on Eternal Dragon to fetch a Scrubland which was indeed quite expensive. Meanwhile i've played Thirst for Knowledge to dig deaper into my library to find Back to Basics  ;D which didn't come. At least i've got Man-O'-War to get rid off that Elephant token. A turn later he played Explosives for 3 and send Azorius Herald, Swords of Fire and Ice and the Man to grave. When he tried to fetch i've played Aven Mindcensor so he didn't find anything. Trygon Predator was his next play but Sower of Temptation took care. I countered his Dromar's Charm with Mana Tithe found Wasteland for his Maze and attacked. After killing my Sower with Shriekmaw he got back the tapped Predator and was down on one life so Silver Knight finally made the job.

2: This time I've had two lands so i took 5 new cards. I've started with Isamaru Turn 1, he had Karakas which bounced the Hound. Turn 2 i've played Spiketail Hatchling, Turn 3 Needle (-> Karakas) and Isamaru again. With Hide/SEEK he removed my strongest weapon Back to Basics from the library. With Grafted Wargear, equip Isamaru + attack for 6 i put some preasure on the board. A turn later he handled both Isamaru+Gear with a single Krosan Grip for some card advantage. He played Shadowmage Infitator which never got the chance for a single attack in the end. First time i've played Pestermite and when he tried to remove that Faerie with Swords to Plowshares i reacted with Misdirection to remove his own Shadowmage. An evoked Shriekmaw took care about the Pestermite and again i digged deaper into my Library with Thirst to find Armaggedon this time. When i've played Armageddon the lone and only creature on the board was Azorius Herald on my side. As I've had still a land on my hand it was me who played more CC2 Critters a few turns later for the win.

GGs!       
Far below the earth

Outlaw

Outlaw (RGW zoo) vs. sturmgott (U skies)

1st game:
I started and played Tarmo in 2nd turn, Call of the Herd in 3rd and Kitchen finks in 4th turn and then some artifacts. He played 2 1/1 fliers in his 1st 2 turns and then Aether Vial and that was all from him. My tarmo, elephant and kitchen finks beat him to death. :)  Oh yes, he was also mana screwed.

2nd game:
He started with suspending Ancestral Vision, i started with mana Elf. And then Survival and he answered with pithing needle. Then i played tarmo, he played serendib efreet, who died from tarmo and lightning helix. Then i destroyed his needle and was cycling with some creatures. Eventually, when he was already almost dead i played Vexing Shusher and he was untapped with 2 cards in hand, so he just said gg.  :)

That's that, a bit poor report, but still...it is something.  :P

Anyway, good start for me, i'm looking forward to play with the rest of you.

Georg B

Georg (WB Weeny) vs. Nkiro (GRW Landdestruction)

In the first game I had no land in hand, but a Chrome Mox and a Knight of the White Orchid. So I tried it.
He played first. I got no land during my drawstep and played Mox + Thoughtseize letting him discard Wrath of God.
In turn 3 or so I drew a land, but it was a Wasteland. So I just played a Blind Creeper (my imprinted card was WB).
The Wasteland got destroyed. After some turns I drew a plains card and so I played the Knight.
From there on it went well for me. He had some LD, but nothing to stop my assault.
And some turns later his life was reduced to 0.

In the second game my hand wasn't that good as well, but I kept a Hand with Mox Diamond, Delta, Soltari Foot Soldier, Duress, Mask of Memory, Knight of the Holy Nimbus and and a card I dont remember (no land).
I drew a Fetid Heath (Yay!) and played Mox with a Heath to discard. I fetched for a Swamp (his deck was full of basic lands, so I thought he could have some nonbasic hate) and played Duress and the Soldier.
Next turn I played the Mask whitch got attached in turn 3. From there on I got card advantage till I played the Knight of the Holy Nimbus and later Ravages of War.
Some turns later I won (he got 2 more lands, but I played a Tangle Wire).

Well, nice games.

Thibir

Thibir (MGA, Vazdru´s build) vs. Grizzledmage (mono R)

Game 1: I got first turn Jungle lion. opponent just suspended gargadon. Second turn Skargan pit skulk and Tattermunge Maniac. third turn Blanchwood armor. later I played Rancor. Grizzledmage chumped a bit, eventualy sacrificing all his permanents to get GG into play and change it for my 7/5 pit skulk. without anything on his side of the table, he wasn´t able to stop my critters.

Game 2: both of us got some weenies, we changed them a lot. but than i got nuked my gaeas cradle and got strucked on 2 lands. however Grizzledmage wasnt offensive enought. i was able to draw next two lands to play garruk. from this point i was just building an army, to make overrun from garruk count. i finally got some creatures, treetop village, groundbreaker + garruk´s ultimate = GG

coldcrow

coldcrow (The Perfect Storm) : Thibir (UG-Skies)

These were 2 quite entertaining games. First of all we chose our decks according to what our opponents played before. I saw him playing aggro, so I went combo; he saw me playing prison, so he went control ;)

Game 1: I can't remember that much because I am rather drunk... decisive points were me resolving a gifts in my main phase (after he had only a memory lapse for the first counter) for 2 rituals + flare + ill-gotten gains (recoup in hand), then proceeding to gigadrowse him in his upkeep. His 2 beaters sent me to 1 life!!! He prob gave me the wrong cards with gifts (flare..) so I produced alot of mana (snap in hand too), cast spells, cast gains, cast demonic, cast tendrils = gg.

Game 2: We both kept some suppar hands. I opened with personal tutor for timespiral (one main strengths of this TPS is the ability to gamble!), but he topped this with spiketail drake + BtB!!!! I was like : OMG. Good thing was that it blocked some of his mana too.
Then I made a hilarious but probably gamewinning play: Mana Severance for all my non-fetch nonbasics :)!
Critical turn was when I casted gifts again... for alot of bounce. So logical conclusion in next turn: bounce drakeling, bounce BtB -> he had disrupt! but I countered with FoW!
Then I cast Timespiral... mostly crap : disperse / gush plus lotsa lands. Next turns he lays a Goyf, but then the luck factor came in : I drew a desire/mox. Cast mox , disperse , he counters , gush and some other spell: desire for 6.
Desire revealed next to some crap: Ill-gotten Gains, Fact or fiction, duress. I cast duress, then Fact.
Fact reveals: lands , Tendrils of Agony, Rain of Filth!!!! He split as follows:  tendrils + rest.

After some funny talk (mind you I didn't see the win yet, do you?) he reminded me of the win I had on the table:
Cast gains for Rain of Filth, fetchland, tendrils. play land, search swamp, cast rain, sacrifice lands for black mana, cast tendrils with lethal storm!!

Great games! At least for me... Reminded me of magic not only being a game of strategy, no, also luck!

PS: I want to add that Thibir is a very fair player. He let make a landdrop in his turn when i forgot to do so in mine.

Thibir

I´d like to correct, that I was not playing control, but my UG skies. however I drew it quite awfully, so it seem like I was playing UG control without counters :)

but the games were very entertaining. I would like to get your decklist :)

Payron

Thibir (MGA) - Payron (5c-Oath Top8 GP build from Patrik Richter)

first game: The only thing mentioned is that I got Moat from the start on and this card just controlled the game anyway .. at some point I totured oath and won

second game: second round Oath is just game breacking against aggro so it was a pretty fast game ... the game crashed but he gave me the win because I had the dragon + the angel on the board ... thx at all for this faire thing

This is rly not a deck I normaly play but I guess it rly works VERY good against aggro ...

gg's

pyyhttu

Pyyhttu vs. Sturmgott: 2-0 (Dragonstorm combo vs. 5c-oath)

1st. game. Sturmgott won the die roll and went on first by playing Hallowed Fountain and passed the turn. I had a hand considered very good and kept Thoughtseize, Memory Lapse, some draw spells and good amount of mana. I played Bayou to Thoughtseize and he revealed:
Tainted Pact, Academy Ruins, Mishra's Factory, Karakas, Brainstorm and Crucible of Worlds from his hand. I went for Brainstorm as he lacked black for tainted pact at the moment. From this point on, I tried to ramp up my manas while sturmgott searched for that black mana and played eventually Tainted Pact for Demonic Tutor. I continued to setup my hand and land base for dragonstorm. Sturmgott played an eot intuition for LoA, Wasteland and Deep Analysis. I gave him the library (sturmgott was at 5 cards I think) and continued his own turn by flashbacking Deep Analysis.
Meanwhile I counted my manas and concluded was ready to execute the combo on my turn. With fetches and tutors I set up threshold with Demonic Tutor -> Cabal Ritual, and cast Dragonstorm with storm being 2. Eventually after counters I managed to resolve one copy of Dragonstorm went for throat with Imperial Hellkite. Sturmgott didn't get to dig answers for that in time.

Lucky for me, Hellkite isn't a legend as Sturmgott had Karakas in play. Had to check this during one Tutor when searched my library.

2nd. game and Library of Alexandria's card advantage won this for me. I kept again my hand consisting of Library of Alexandria, Force of Will, Fire/Ice, Farseek, Birds of paradise and some lands. Sturmgott started with a land drop and I play my LoA and start abusing the card. My consequent Birds of Paradise gets hit by Sturmgott's Rolling Earthquake. I get to keep my hand size at seven for the whole time, while playing land fetches and go eventually for Dragonstorm with storm 3 when have enough mana. Before this, Sturmgott was close to setting up a Crucible/Wasteland lock which would've been deadly for me, but luckily I managed to put my combo together fast enough. He said later on that maybe a better play would have been to search Oath of Druids. He had Solitary Confinement in play when got my beaters on the table, but he soon scooped as he couldn't keep up with the upkeep cost of Solitary Confinement and drew loads of lands anyway. GGs.

Edit: The version I played was Mac Shooter's Dragonstorm with some modifications.