Main Menu

Staxx Oath v. 3.0

Started by Kassow-Rossing, 07-01-2011, 02:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kassow-Rossing

Quote from: delta_strike on 03-04-2011, 01:04:48 PM
Mimic vat is bad, null brooch was great vs. Countrol decks very nice...
I tested moat to, but I need to test it a little more...
But I find it alot easier to remove moat then finding something to remove humility. But whit humility you need something to deal whit the 1/1 creatures.
But still I think humility is stronger because they can't use their creatures abilities and therefor humility is better protected...

Yeah Mimic Vat can't have been good :) I think we both knew that already. Null Brooch is really all-or-nothing but maybe it is worth playing a dead card in some cases if it straight out wins the game in other cases.

Humility sounds a bit like a better version than Crumbling Sanctuary to me that just also takes out the Titans. I can't wait to test it again. Let me know what you find in the future! Thx for the help!

Vazdru

Btw. A friend of mine played your Oath-Staxx Titans-Build yesterday, he reached a record of 4-3 after Swiss. None of the 6 Staxx-Decks was able to reach Top 8.
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Kassow-Rossing

I can imagine it wasn't the same meta invironment :) But thx for sharing.

delta_strike

Quote from: Vazdru on 03-04-2011, 03:58:40 PM
Btw. A friend of mine played your Oath-Staxx Titans-Build yesterday, he reached a record of 4-3 after Swiss. None of the 6 Staxx-Decks was able to reach Top 8.
Do your friend have a report of the event ?I would be happy If i could get a small report of the event to see what cards/decks it had problems whit.

Vazdru

Quote from: delta_strike on 03-04-2011, 07:08:02 PM

Do your friend have a report of the event ?I would be happy If i could get a small report of the event to see what cards/decks it had problems whit.

No i don't think so. He's a busy buisnessman  ;) but i'll ask him.
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Kassow-Rossing

Which event was it? How many players?

MarcMagic

Quote from: Kassow-Rossing on 03-04-2011, 07:51:20 PM
Which event was it? How many players?
Highlander GP VIII with 89 Players.

LasH

I played the deck there too, just a few other cardchoices (more aggro hate - firesprout, day of judgement).

Conclusion for me after this tourney: Stax is not Tier 1 deck anymore. I even had pretty strong draw's (oath turn 2 vs turn 1 critter etc). I think my oath did not won a single game. My opponents could handle every thread of mine without loosing a turn. The new aggro-generation is simply extremly flexible and aggressive. So everytime i played my oath -> it got destroyed before i even could use it (_everytime_). And the same happend for all other "aggro-hate (collective restraint, moat)" or acceleration.
Sylvan tutor, worldy tutor, eladamri's call, green zenit, fauna shaman along with harmonic sliver, quasali pridemage, wickerborn elder, vindicate, MSpulse, O-Ring, Krosan Grip + Counter is simply to much stuff which can destroy your mainplan for very less cost's.
I did not manage to lock down any of my opponents. Even in the long turn, each of my "lockdowns" or even wildfire and stuff did not win the game. I cannot say i did a big mistake in any of the games. The only matchup which is very solid, is the mu vs elves.
So to sum it up, i lost vs the "bant toolbox deck" or however you call that deck, i lost to pattern rector (my deck had nothing to throw at the combo after my lockdown was handled), and finally to the classic problem back to basic.

I observed a few games of the other staxx player's and i saw this problematic for all builds (mono blue stax, 5c Stax, 5c Oath Stax). Futhermore i saw often tables with which were able to cast any card of the deck, but the player had nothing in his hand. I think solid card-draw is missing too.

Top 8 consists only of different aggro-builds. It was kinda surprising for me to see on the first tables always the same cards battle each other. I'm a little bit dissapointed that not a single pure control or combo deck did manage to do any good result.

:/

GoblinPiledriver

I truly don't see 100% aggro builds at the Top8:

GoblinPiledriver – 5C Alara Aggro  -> aggro
Peeler – Boros                     -> aggro
Sebastian – UG                     -> midrange
firestarter – Dark Bant-Control    -> control
Tabris – UG                        -> midrange
Claus – RDW                        -> aggro
Fabian – WW                        -> aggro
Thomas – 4CBlood                   -> midrange

-> aggro: 50%
-> midrange: 37,5%
-> control: 12,5%
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

delta_strike

Thank you lasH. Thats  what I been looking for.  :)

LasH

Quote from: GoblinPiledriver on 04-04-2011, 12:49:00 AM
I truly don't see 100% aggro builds at the Top8:

GoblinPiledriver – 5C Alara Aggro  -> aggro
Peeler – Boros                     -> aggro
Sebastian – UG                     -> midrange
firestarter – Dark Bant-Control    -> control
Tabris – UG                        -> midrange
Claus – RDW                        -> aggro
Fabian – WW                        -> aggro
Thomas – 4CBlood                   -> midrange

-> aggro: 50%
-> midrange: 37,5%
-> control: 12,5%

Ya i choosed the wrong word. I still combine aggro with creatures. I wanted to say, top 8 consists of creature based decks (dont know about the deck of firestarter, i didnt saw a control deck on the tables, mb i missed something, but im sure you know it better because you know the players). Congrats to you for winning the tournament ;)

Kassow-Rossing

Thx U all for commenting. I will put it to the Think Tank for now. Where in Germany are the GP's held? Different locations?

Patrick

Kassow-Rossing

Quote from: LasH on 04-04-2011, 12:00:34 AM
I played the deck there too, just a few other cardchoices (more aggro hate - firesprout, day of judgement).

Conclusion for me after this tourney: Stax is not Tier 1 deck anymore. I even had pretty strong draw's (oath turn 2 vs turn 1 critter etc). I think my oath did not won a single game. My opponents could handle every thread of mine without loosing a turn. The new aggro-generation is simply extremly flexible and aggressive. So everytime i played my oath -> it got destroyed before i even could use it (_everytime_). And the same happend for all other "aggro-hate (collective restraint, moat)" or acceleration.
Sylvan tutor, worldy tutor, eladamri's call, green zenit, fauna shaman along with harmonic sliver, quasali pridemage, wickerborn elder, vindicate, MSpulse, O-Ring, Krosan Grip + Counter is simply to much stuff which can destroy your mainplan for very less cost's.

Hm maybe you played the deck wrong because against a turn 1 critter, Oath always wins me the game. Oath is simply an extra "Either you win the game and if not then you get card advantage for cheap mana". The deck doesn't depend that much on Oath of Druids. Same goes for Collective Restraint and Moat. They are only in there to stall the time or to seal the life total after an Armageddon or stuff. Besides you shouldn't play Firespout. Day of Judgment is alright but I don't think you need three different Wrath's.

I did not manage to lock down any of my opponents. Even in the long turn, each of my "lockdowns" or even wildfire and stuff did not win the game. I cannot say i did a big mistake in any of the games. The only matchup which is very solid, is the mu vs elves.
So to sum it up, i lost vs the "bant toolbox deck" or however you call that deck, i lost to pattern rector (my deck had nothing to throw at the combo after my lockdown was handled), and finally to the classic problem back to basic.

The deck is suppose to lock down the opponent and force him to cast very few spells during each game compared to what they usually would and thus you're winning with your largely more powerfull bombs like planeswalkers or creatures. If you don't succeed in that mission, it will be difficult to win. Resolving a Wildfire in this deck is like what resolving a Cruel Ultimatum in 5-Colour Control was one year ago: I really never lose after that unless s a situation with bad luck follows. If my opponent has Crucible of Worlds on the battlefield, it is also useless to cast. I'm sorry you lost to those decks but maybe you should try and play it a little more. It is one of the most difficult decks to play or this format.

I observed a few games of the other staxx player's and i saw this problematic for all builds (mono blue stax, 5c Stax, 5c Oath Stax). Futhermore i saw often tables with which were able to cast any card of the deck, but the player had nothing in his hand. I think solid card-draw is missing too.

The point in this deck is not to have any cards in hand but to always have the better board. That is why it rushes to bomb spells and ruining all opponents permanents thus giving him a large hand but no board. I think one maybe should test some more card advantage though. I've been thinking about the cookie card Consecrated Sphinx but I'm not sure if it's really powerful enough. Cryptic Command is most likely also too much blue and Tidings is inefficient. Mind Spring was in the deck for a long time with Martial Coup but they just seemed a bit off. I don't know which cards to test except for Consecrated Sphinx.

delta_strike

I tested  many times against vs aggro decks and one of them being goblinpiledriver version. And it's been around  60-40%  to the stax deck.
My build is a little driffent from kassow buts it's only 5-7 cards.

Have you tried memory jar for card advantage ? I saw it's getting unbanned soon.

LasH

Quote from: Kassow-Rossing on 12-04-2011, 06:30:43 PM
Hm maybe you played the deck wrong because against a turn 1 critter, Oath always wins me the game. Oath is simply an extra "Either you win the game and if not then you get card advantage for cheap mana". The deck doesn't depend that much on Oath of Druids. Same goes for Collective Restraint and Moat. They are only in there to stall the time or to seal the life total after an Armageddon or stuff. Besides you shouldn't play Firespout. Day of Judgment is alright but I don't think you need three different Wrath's.

That's exactly my point of view. These cards should stall time, but they did not in my games because they got destroyed _everytime_ on the next turn of my opponent. They didnt gave me a single extra turn (and by the way trading 1to1 is no card advantage). Firespout turned out to be the best bord cleaner i had..Each time i could resolve it, it killed at least 2 creatures a turn earlier than wrath and that was so essential. By the way, did u ever face turn 2 gaddock? Your deck runs exactly 3 answers. And every good player will tutor him against stax, while you cannot tutor vindicate/mspulse/(o-ring, because it can get easy handled) in a way they can search gaddock. Futhermore your answers cost YOU another turn and make your opponents faster. Thats something u kinda never wanna do in stax, but it turned out to be essential, because otherwise you have autoloss vs early gaddock or early back to basic (which i faced ofc 3 times turn2!!).

The deck is suppose to lock down the opponent and force him to cast very few spells during each game compared to what they usually would and thus you're winning with your largely more powerfull bombs like planeswalkers or creatures. If you don't succeed in that mission, it will be difficult to win. Resolving a Wildfire in this deck is like what resolving a Cruel Ultimatum in 5-Colour Control was one year ago: I really never lose after that unless s a situation with bad luck follows. If my opponent has Crucible of Worlds on the battlefield, it is also useless to cast. I'm sorry you lost to those decks but maybe you should try and play it a little more. It is one of the most difficult decks to play or this format.

I have to say 2 things about this: First you're right ofc. I kinda know what stax is doing ;). The powerful bombs "planeswalker" do all bant aggro decks play too. These decks are not slower in casting them, because they have even better acceleration in the first 2 turns. Ofc a bant cannot race a Titan, but they do alot of dmg with their creatures too. Exspecially Stoneforge Mystic is a big thread for Stax, because both swords (feat and famine, fire/ice) are total pain for stax. And its nearly impossible to handle an equipped creature for this deck. Feast and famine makes every lock useless, and fire/ice makes wildfire obsolete. This is just the worst scenario, but its so damn fricking fast and played in every bant. I dont understand, how you did not manage to face this situation yet. What do you do vs this start with your deck, if you dont have your 3 1to1 trades or maze? Exactly nothing.

The point in this deck is not to have any cards in hand but to always have the better board. That is why it rushes to bomb spells and ruining all opponents permanents thus giving him a large hand but no board. I think one maybe should test some more card advantage though. I've been thinking about the cookie card Consecrated Sphinx but I'm not sure if it's really powerful enough. Cryptic Command is most likely also too much blue and Tidings is inefficient. Mind Spring was in the deck for a long time with Martial Coup but they just seemed a bit off. I don't know which cards to test except for Consecrated Sphinx.
All i can say about the first part, is said alrdy before.
Memory Jar will surely solve the draw problem, and maybe we see goblin welder back in buisness, to increase card advantage to the maximum.

My final conclusion for stax in this meta: You cannot run enchantments any longer to stop aggro (Abyss, Collective restraint, oath, moat, because they are TO slow and/or get destroyed instantly). You need cards that handle dangerous situations the turn you cast them. Means you need to run removal (Slagstorm, Firespout, maybe even stuff like swords), bc the first 3 turns turn out to be as essential as they were never before.