Main Menu

RoE legal

Started by Kassow-Rossing, 06-04-2010, 01:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kassow-Rossing

In every sanctioned format a set will be legal from the time of the first release event. This has been true for Highlander too right? For some reason it wasn't with Worldwake:

http://www.magicplayer.org/forum/index.php?topic=362.0

Will this be the case of Rise of Eldrazi too? Will Rise not be legal in Highlander until 15.may?

-Patrick
ps. please explain if I've misunderstood something.

Sturmgott

Rise of the Eldrazi will become tournament legal as of May 15th, 2010, 0:00 C.E.T.

New editions never became legal for HL Tournament Play on the release date.

pyyhttu

And before someone asks why to deviate and spread confusion by not sticking to the official wotc dates: That two week lapse gives people enough time to amass the cards from newest set before they become tournament legal.

Kassow-Rossing

Quote from: Sturmgott on 06-04-2010, 02:12:21 PM
Rise of the Eldrazi will become tournament legal as of May 15th, 2010, 0:00 C.E.T.

Then I don't understand why there was a sudden urge to tell people that Worldwake would have this special Highlander release?

Quote from: pyyhttu on 06-04-2010, 07:51:35 PM
And before someone asks why to deviate and spread confusion by not sticking to the official wotc dates: That two week lapse gives people enough time to amass the cards from newest set before they become tournament legal.

I think I will chose to ask anyways since the answer to the unasked question doesn't cover all angles.
Why do Highlander have this special delayed legality of the new cards around two weeks after the release date? I mean in other words: Why should Highlander be the only only only format who bends the rules on this matter and why is the other formats like standard, extended and legacy not bound to wait an equal amount of time so everybody has a (still un-equal) chance to get the new cards?

-Patrick

Kristian

Quote from: Kassow-Rossing on 07-04-2010, 12:27:40 PM
Quote from: Sturmgott on 06-04-2010, 02:12:21 PM

Then I don't understand why there was a sudden urge to tell people that Worldwake would have this special Highlander release?

Quote from: pyyhttu on 06-04-2010, 07:51:35 PM

I think I will chose to ask anyways since the answer to the unasked question doesn't cover all angles.
Why do Highlander have this special delayed legality of the new cards around two weeks after the release date? I mean in other words: Why should Highlander be the only only only format who bends the rules on this matter and why is the other formats like standard, extended and legacy not bound to wait an equal amount of time so everybody has a (still un-equal) chance to get the new cards?

-Patrick
I believe that the reasoning is that the time set by wizard isn't as fair as the chosen 2 weeks delay.

Personally, I don't really mind, haven't seen any cards worthy of my decks yet :'(.
There can be only one!

Thibir

I still consider delayed legality of new cards as kind of unfair. I mean, I spent time reading spoilers, I spent time and money preordering cards, I spent additional time and money attending prelease/release events. I should be able to play new cards I just got. Not just to gain small edge over opponents, but because I enjoy new cards from each expansion, I want to see, how they behave in my decks, etc.

The argument about new cards not being accessible to all players, thus giving them more time to get them, seems kid of lame to me. Its same as expensive cards. LoA, Tabernacle, Mana Drain, they are all accessible to all players, all you have to is to pay and play. But not all players are able to purchase them. So what? Lets ban all cards that are more expensive than 30 â,¬? No, just let working players have advantage of these cards over lets say "poorer" opponents. To me its same with new cards. If you want them, you can get them pretty soon, if you are willing to pay for them. If you are not, well thats your choice.

My second argument is that delayed legality causes some serious confusion among players. You play Standard at 10:00 with RoE cards and you can´t play them at Highlander at 14:00. It feels weird.

Well, never mind, I just wanted to say my opinion. As far as I am HL TO here in Bratislava, I´m going to synchronize legality dates with Wizards.

Nastaboi

Finnish Nationals will be this year same weekend as M11 release, again. That means, people have only two weeks to test new Standard decks and only one day to aquire cards they need for them unless they and their teammates opened really well in prerelease. Not to mention Limited part of the tournament, which will be same M11 Limited no one have had change to practice except one or two drafts at most. This plain sucks, and in this particular case I don't like that Wizards changed their new set legality day policy.

However in Highlander, which is more casual format and where you only have to get couple of singletons, not four-of-mythics, for your deck, it is somewhat different. I can picture myself, or any one of you, going into prerelease, opening something spectacular, and hardly waiting to the end of the tournament to put the new precious into my Highlander deck and challenging the first person next to me just to get test that new gem. It is the most natural thing to be able to enchant your Highlander deck with new cards as soon one can get their hands them, and my opponents will be similariry exited to see a new card in Highlander action. In even more casual EDH, the cards are legal from their prerelease day, not even release day.

Fast forward into my point: though I can see pros and coins in both immediate and delayed legality dates, I think we should be consistent with Wizards in this matter and allow the cards be played same day as in sanctioned formats.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Vazdru

I've just started an intern discussion to that question

@ malz77, firestarter, pyyhttu
just follow this link in case you want to take part in this discussion

http://www.magicplayer.org/forum/index.php?topic=411.msg3951#new
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Sturmgott

Quote from: Nastaboi on 09-04-2010, 12:58:37 PMI can picture myself, or any one of you, going into prerelease, opening something spectacular, and hardly waiting to the end of the tournament to put the new precious into my Highlander deck and challenging the first person next to me just to get test that new gem. It is the most natural thing to be able to enchant your Highlander deck with new cards as soon one can get their hands them, and my opponents will be similariry exited to see a new card in Highlander action.

Remember, we're making rules for tournament play. Nobody will ever prevent you from putting your prerelease gems in your highlander decks immediately after the tournament. We're only preventing you playing them in a tournament for the next two weeks so everybody has a fair chance to take a look at what's new and get their hands on what they need and/or want.

What if WotC started to change their banning policy the same way regarding legality? What if un-/bannings became effective immediately? That would suck just as much and it's a comparable case since both are things that require or at least make you want to change your deck.

Highlander is different in quite a number of aspects. The two-weeks-delay is the clearly superiour rule and the only reason to get rid of it would be to synchronize with WotC - and even they don't do it their way for the sake of the game, but solely for the sake of profit and increasing sales. This puts the players under totally unnecessary pressure and I'm glad we have the power to say we're doing it different and better in this respect.

Mir

to Sturmgott:
I was not aware of this rule either :) While the rule is effective put into http://highlandermagic.info/index.php?id=bannedlist page message that some editions are being unbanned from 15 may.

Thibir:

Dont forget that most Highlander players in Bratislava are mainly T2 players.
You surely know that active T2 player is informed about new editions long before they are actually released, but its also part how HL and T2 players differ in a way how they study cards and banned list.

I was also looking at RoE and i see some cards that i would like immediately include in the deck, but also you must understand that new cards are tested for "being broken". It is better to ban totally broken card like allow it into play.

Anyway, everyone who was reading RoE spoilers was asking the same question: "Are the Wotc gone crazy?"

Kassow-Rossing

Sturmgott

I got my question answered and for all I know, this case is now closed!

Thx! I understand it now. Just got confused by the sudden Worldwake release date warning which wasn't needed since there was nothing special about Worldwake release date at all!

imppu

Held a highlander tournament again last sunday (5th of may). Before the first round I had to inform players to take out all RoE cards from their decks as the set ain't legal. You should've been there to see the movement and whining it created. Over 70% of the players searching their decks for cards they would love to play. Having to replace them with anything they had with them or basic lands some kind soul had with him, frustrated a lot of people. I could've allowed the cards, but since there was atleast one player present that had know they aren't legal and had left cards from his deck because of it. Would've been unfair towards him allow them as you say they aren't legal. There is no sense in this rule as stated by many active players on these forums too. Missing some card from the newest set isn't critical to ANY deck in highlander. The confusion and frustration this irrelevant rule causes is way beyond the tiny good thing it gives to some people that are too lazy to get their cards.

A personal question to Frank: Why do you play Magic if you hate WotC so much? They created this awesome game we all love. I don't see anything wrong with the fact they are getting paid (and employing tons of people while doing it) for creating such thing. I assure you that not everything involving money is evil.

Mythrandir

Quote from: imppu on 11-05-2010, 07:05:25 PM
Held a highlander tournament again last sunday (5th of may). Before the first round I had to inform players to take out all RoE cards from their decks as the set ain't legal. You should've been there to see the movement and whining it created. Over 70% of the players searching their decks for cards they would love to play. Having to replace them with anything they had with them or basic lands some kind soul had with him, frustrated a lot of people. I could've allowed the cards, but since there was atleast one player present that had know they aren't legal and had left cards from his deck because of it. Would've been unfair towards him allow them as you say they aren't legal. There is no sense in this rule as stated by many active players on these forums too. Missing some card from the newest set isn't critical to ANY deck in highlander. The confusion and frustration this irrelevant rule causes is way beyond the tiny good thing it gives to some people that are too lazy to get their cards.

A personal question to Frank: Why do you play Magic if you hate WotC so much? They created this awesome game we all love. I don't see anything wrong with the fact they are getting paid (and employing tons of people while doing it) for creating such thing. I assure you that not everything involving money is evil.

Well, i aggree with sets being legal as soon as it's legal for other formats, for simplicity sake. However players should have seen the rules (time, ban list, sets allowed etc) before going into a tournament. Or at least the TO should have pointed/written those rules, since this is a casual format and there isn't any official rules.

Having another date is just too confusing IMO and even if a player doesn't get that jace or gideon or BSA, it's 1 card in 100... so..

Kassow-Rossing

Thx for the support guys :)

It won't hurt any deck to synchronize the release date to WotC's. Maybe some will lack to opportunity to play with one or two cards from a new set, but if that said person needs those cards, that said person will get them. Just like the person would for a standard constructed tournament.

The reason why it won't be a money issue in Highlander format is the fact that each deck only needs one of each card. Getting 4x Baneslayer after M10 release is a bit difficult, but getting 1x Baneslayer is a far more easy job to do.