Main Menu

Help with my WW deck

Started by kmzandrew, 11-08-2009, 01:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmzandrew

I recently revisited my WW deck and would like to get some thoughts on some of the choices.

34 lands
24 plains
1 eiganjo casle
1 karakas
1 flagstones of trokair
1 dust bowl
1 horizon canopy
1 mutuavault
1 mishra’s factory
1 wasteland
1 tectonic edge
1 rishadan port *(this is usually pretty weak as my mana is usually tied up, but I haven't found anything I would like to replace it with as of yet)

19 1cc

13 guys (I believe it is essential to play at least 13 aggressive 1 drops. I would prefer to run even more, but white doesn't provide much else besides these 12 guys and aether vial. Things like wayfarer are there because an unanswered wayfarer against control will usually win the game.

Aether vial
Figure of destiny
Icatian javelineers
Weathered wayfarer
Elite vanguard
Lantern kami
Mother of runes
Akrasan squire
Goldmeadow harrier
Soltari foot soldier
Isamaru, hound of konda
Savannah lions
Ramosian sergeant

Land tax
Cursed scroll
Bonesplitter
Harm's way
Swords to plowshares
Path to exile

20 2cc
Honor the pure
Winter orb

Hand of Honor
8.5 tails
Kami of ancient law
Ronom unicorn
Whipcorder
Serra avenger
Soltari priest
Soltari monk
Silver knight
Sigiled paladin
Knight of the white orchid
Leonine skyhunter
White knight
Knight of the meadow grain
Amrou scout
Knight of the holy nimbus
Azorious guildmage
Stoneforge mystic
Kor aeronaut

17 3cc
Glorious anthem
Sword of fire and ice
Sword of light and shadow
Oblivion ring
Grafted wargear
Tangle wire
Griffin Guide
Spectral Procession

Mangara of corondor
Aven Mindscensor
Paladin en vec
Stillmoon cavalier
Kitchen finks
Mirror entity
Wilt-leaf cavaliers
Flickerwisp
Kor sanctifiers

8 4cc
Armageddon
Ajani goldmane
Elspeth
Ranger of eos
Parallax wave
Hokori, Dust drinker
Wilt leaf liege
Ravages of war

1 6cc
Exalted angel

Some thoughts:
Rishadan port is just screaming to be replaced as it is usually bad. I have tested a bunch of lands in this slot, but nothing really impressed me.

Brave the Elements-Has anyone tested this? I haven't had a chance to, but it seems like it could be amazing.

Basilisk Collar- Its not bad, but in my testing its equip cost of 2 is just too much for a marginal effect. You would much rather have one of your other equips.

Lightning Greaves- Just like basilisk collar it is decent, but I always seem to cut it in favor of more threats.

Kor Hookmaster- Seems pretty solid. Not as versatile as flickerwisp, but can be used defensively as well. Flickerwisp also is one of the better 3 drops so this could easily replace something like stillmoon or mangara.

Wilt-leaf cavaliers- No evasion and his mana can be tricky at times, but when comes down he is great. He is very efficient and is amazing against other aggressive decks.

Hokori Not all that great compared to the other 4 drops, but definitely more game-impacting than other options that are available. He still randomly wins games.

GoblinPiledriver

Looks solid
Maybe a few changes:

- Goldmeadow stalwart (You definetly have too less kithkin for him)
- White knight  (Black is not the color with the most played creatures in highlander)
- Cataclysm (You already have Armageddon,Ravages of war, Winter Orb and Tangle Wire so you don`t need this)

+ Mistral Charger ( you need a few more flyers to keep the pressure on)
+ Stormfront Pegasus ( you need a few more flyers to keep the pressure on)
+ Lantern Kami ( you need a few more flyers to keep the pressure on)
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

kmzandrew

Quote from: GoblinPiledriver on 11-08-2009, 12:54:25 PM
Looks solid
Maybe a few changes:

- Goldmeadow stalwart (You definetly have too less kithkin for him)
- White knight  (Black is not the color with the most played creatures in highlander)
- Cataclysm (You already have Armageddon,Ravages of war, Winter Orb and Tangle Wire so you don`t need this)

+ Mistral Charger ( you need a few more flyers to keep the pressure on)
+ Stormfront Pegasus ( you need a few more flyers to keep the pressure on)
+ Lantern Kami ( you need a few more flyers to keep the pressure on)

Stalwart is actually harrier. Other than that I'm not such a huge fan of pegasus and am not sure where I would fit the kami. I do think that cataclysm is fairly weak in my deck though.

Also for whatever reason I feel like smokestack and uba mask might fit the deck quite well. If I added smokestack some more token generators would seem appropriate, but uba mask just seems awesome since almost all the decks in my meta are more controllish.

Lightning greaves also seems like a solid card to add.

Payron

well rly looks solide ... but the chances are rly good recommanded .. you just need nice evasion creatures because that wins you so often the games vs aggro because you attack each turn and hold the ground with first strikers or soemthing .. just great but I would have 2 more cards to cut:

Mangara of corondor- 3 mana 1/1 and summoning sikness ... well sounds for not rly a great deal

Weathered wayfarer- I used to play him in my very old version but he is not even a bit aggro ... doesn t support anything in late game and the ONLY good thing is to fetch a Wasteland with him ... and thats just got in early turns and at that point you want your mana to spend for pressure

smokestack and uba mask - straight no ... more 4cc spells with no real use ... i don t think its worth in WW

Lightning Greaves - YES haste is great and late game you only cast 1 creature ... shroud is awsome and prevents maze for example

try out mask of Memorys sounds maybe not as a aggro card .. but with evasion creatures this ard is awsome because card advantage just wins games !!!

maybe also try out flicker Wisp ... awsome card for remove blockers for 1 attack
rly agressive
or great for wave/Tangle wire/Ranger of Eos

kmzandrew

Flickerwisp is awesome. I just completely forgot about it. It also works with mangara, which has been great for me in testing. Also weathered wayfarer gets dust bowl now and that can just win games so I like it a lot.

So now all I have to do is figure out what I'm doing with 1 drops. Should I run burrenton forge tender and akrasan squire or replace them with evasion guys like soltari foot guard and lantern kami?

Also I probably will add either lightning greaves or mask of memory. Which is better and what should I cut? I'm thinking cutting auriok champion since I don't run pariah.

Vazdru

*moved from deleted posts*

Does anyone know why this thread has been deleated?
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Lightstorm

Lightning graves is nice as a card, but I don`t see much point to add it, walking creatures can be easily blocked. Still it protects shadows and flyers nicely. Haste is nice but it takes one card out from your deck. Sweep effects still affect to equipped creature. It`s like 50/50 card, useful or useless. Well, which aren`t :)

I don`t like Weathered Wayfarer either really, if you need mana, Tithe or Land Tax are much better ones. Dust bowl is nice card but it also slows your speed alot, control decks usually have card advantage anyway so..

Defiant Falcon, rebel machines are useful after sweeps but I didn`t really like him, 4 mana to activate and it`s just 1/1, I would rather play Lin-Sivvi, Defiant Hero.

Pianna Nomad Catpain? It might just attack once and that`s it. What about Soltari Champion instead?

Mistral Charger and Storfront Pegasus are nice flyers, sure they are vulnerable but I think you really love to equip your Swords to them.

Mangara of corondor? I would rather play Stonecloaker, 3/2 flyer with Flash that helps against combo decks and protects your own creatures.

pyyhttu

QuoteDoes anyone know why this thread has been deleated?

The Administrator(s) may want to check the board settings: if you haven't touched the default settings, then the starter of this thread (kmzandrew) has powers to delete his first post and at the same time the whole thread.

Edit: To stay on topic, I've always liked in some twisted way Proclamation of Rebirth (<-- requires heavier curve on 1) and Reverent Mantra in WW.

Thibir

Quote from: Lightstorm on 12-08-2009, 02:58:34 PM

Mangara of corondor? I understand it helps against sweep effects but it doesn`t do anything else, you don`t even wan`t to attack with him, it`s just 3cc 1/1 that give you blocker it defends your attackers sometimes. I would rather play Stonecloaker, 3/2 flyer with Flash that helps against combo decks and protects your own creatures.

Well I played it in my WW too. It is really great with Karakas or Stonecloaker. Otherwise it´s just "broken" Vindicate.

Whole your list looks pretty same as mine, however I don´t like Icatian Javelineers and also don´t think that Paladin en-Vec and Auriok Champion are that good. I also play a bit more rebels (Amrou Scout, Blade of the Sixth Pride, Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero and my favourite casual trick - Bound in Silence (C´mon, you can attach it to Troll Ascetic))

And not to forgot, I miss Jotun Grunt in your list.

kmzandrew

I just revisited this deck and posted an updated list as well as some thoughts. Any comments would be appreciated.

For whatever reason I keep flirting with the idea of splashing green(or any other color;green just seems like the best choice). I don't want to go W/G as I think that deck is a completely different animal, but now with zendikar fetches a light splash seems much easier to pull off and adding just a few cards like knight of the reliquary, loam lion, quasali pridemage, rancor, glare of subdual, watchwolf, goyf and a few others would drastically imcrease the raw power of the deck without adding any real consistency issues.

I don't have any decks that prey on my mana in my meta so I don't have to worry about blood moon or back to basics. The only real question is whether or not it is worth sacrificing the consistency I have with mono-white for a minor splash. That being said the splash will be minor and therefore any sacrifices in consistency will also be minor. I would think I would lose 3 white mana sources  at most and would have access to a solid 15 green sources.

Tiggupiru

Exalted angel --> Baneslayer (I mean, if you have access to her)
Hokori, Cum Drinker --> Cataclysm (Just ends the game. Also gets rid of opposing planeswalkers)
Mangara of corondor --> Hearthfire Hobgoblin (I don't think Glorious Anthem is good enough, but if you want to play it this guy gets even better. Likes to carry equipments as well)

I find those 1/1 flying dudes quite awful. They require equipment to be good and even then.. they are not that great. Beckon Apparition seems better, but I would probably still not play it. Also Akrasan Squire gets very bad after you have more than two creatures in play, but I find it better than aforementioned 1/1's.

I'd add:
- Kor Firewalker (nice red deck you have there)
- Samurai of the Pale Curtain (good in combat, and a serious problem to recursion or combo decks making pretty use of their graveyard)
- Mana Tithe (control has no time to play around this in the early turns even if they know you have it)

And I would add Chrome Mox as a pseudo one drop. Take out a land. Perhaps that rishadan port?

Nastaboi

Quote from: Tiggupiru on 21-02-2010, 12:17:48 PM
Exalted angel --> Baneslayer

Why don't play both? Exalted even fits the curve better.

And one-drops really have to beat for 2 or have a really useful ability to be worth playing.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Mythrandir

Quote from: Nastaboi on 21-02-2010, 12:24:13 PM
Quote from: Tiggupiru on 21-02-2010, 12:17:48 PM
Exalted angel --> Baneslayer

Why don't play both? Exalted even fits the curve better.

And one-drops really have to beat for 2 or have a really useful ability to be worth playing.

Yeap, i agree, the only reason not to play those 2 in WW is the cost of the baneslayer... =/ Apart from that, they easily fit the deck and are great threats

Tiggupiru

Yeah, both are worthy of playing. Brain fart.

Asmahasmalaria

I think Mangara of corondor is not that bad of a choice as many think here.
He has Karakas and if he draws both unanswered thats gg . Furthermore he can tutor karakas with wayfarer. I would not cut Mangara ;-)