Main Menu

Banned List - Comparison different HL formats

Started by Vazdru, 24-01-2011, 11:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mythrandir

QuoteBTW, you DO need to build around Ancestral in Vintage. If you don't, you won't be the one drawing extra cards during the game.

Building around and being staple is very different, IMO.

coldcrow

I dislike that no one brings actual examples.
considering not being TPS:

So for will not being a recollect you need to: have access to >5 mana and a somewhat useful grave.
So most of the time winning through YW will be if you topdeck it in developed baord situation. How different is that from, say: NO, Gifts, DT etcetcetc. Not to mention that these cards are better at actually winning, because they do not care about your grave.
Repeat: The only decks which can really abuse will to some extent are TPS and tutor/mana heavy MBC. For every other deck splashing black it will be another mediocre to very good recursion card (depending on mana/grave).

ntamashahr

LasH

Quote from: coldcrow on 04-02-2011, 04:41:49 AM

So for will not being a recollect you need to: have access to >5 mana and a somewhat useful grave.
So most of the time winning through YW will be if you topdeck it in developed baord situation. How different is that from, say: NO, Gifts, DT etcetcetc. Not to mention that these cards are better at actually winning, because they do not care about your grave.
Repeat: The only decks which can really abuse will to some extent are TPS and tutor/mana heavy MBC. For every other deck splashing black it will be another mediocre to very good recursion card (depending on mana/grave).

What about the dreamhalls combo? YW will boost any combo deck alot (even dragonstorm highlander will use it - a rare decktyp but i know it was played 2 grand prix ago (More or less succesfull, but top 20 if i remember correctly). Not only TPs will profit, all storm combo decks will from an unban. Do we want to make combo decks better? I agree that it won't boost the decks played alot atm, but if you unban a card you should always watch more than the current meta. A thing u cant do well. And everybody will agree, that this is a boost for every combo deck, and we dont want combo decks to go to tier1.

coldcrow

Dreamhalls can only abuse YW if it already resolved the enchantment and in that case Dreamhalls mostly wins anyways.
What YW does for Stormdecks is making the Tutors better, it is not a tutor itself. Other combo like Aluren or Pattern wouldn't even play it.

Do you really see a problem in making Stormcombo a bit more competetive? Why not construct these TPS lists Sturmgott listed and play them, without will and the other banned cards first.

Kristian

Quote from: LasH on 06-02-2011, 12:17:48 PM
Quote from: coldcrow on 04-02-2011, 04:41:49 AM

What about the dreamhalls combo? YW will boost any combo deck alot (even dragonstorm highlander will use it - a rare decktyp but i know it was played 2 grand prix ago (More or less succesfull, but top 20 if i remember correctly). Not only TPs will profit, all storm combo decks will from an unban. Do we want to make combo decks better? I agree that it won't boost the decks played alot atm, but if you unban a card you should always watch more than the current meta. A thing u cant do well. And everybody will agree, that this is a boost for every combo deck, and we dont want combo decks to go to tier1.
I think coldcrow posted his response in the wrong topic :O
Quote from: coldcrow on 06-02-2011, 01:18:14 PM
Dreamhalls can only abuse YW if it already resolved the enchantment and in that case Dreamhalls mostly wins anyways.
What YW does for Stormdecks is making the Tutors better, it is not a tutor itself. Other combo like Aluren or Pattern wouldn't even play it.

Do you really see a problem in making Stormcombo a bit more competetive? Why not construct these TPS lists Sturmgott listed and play them, without will and the other banned cards first.
http://www.magicplayer.org/forum/index.php?topic=501.msg5441#msg5441

and we dont want combo decks to go to tier1.
Why do we not want combo decks to go to tier 1? Why shouldn't all 3 archetypes be viable? Why is it only that aggro and control should be allowed to do that?
There can be only one!

coldcrow

Thanks Kristian!

Could a mod move my former post to the Banned List comparison topic please?

Vazdru

Quote from: coldcrow on 06-02-2011, 01:57:54 PM
Could a mod move my former post to the Banned List comparison topic please?

done
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

LasH

Why do we not want combo decks to go to tier 1? Why shouldn't all 3 archetypes be viable? Why is it only that aggro and control should be allowed to do that?

Because we want interaction. I suggest you read some topic's from "highlander founder" frank topel aka sturmgott about this discussion.

Nastaboi

Hi LasH,

I can see that you are really concerned about the idea of unbanning Will, and you have every right to feel bad and express your feelings. The sky isn't falling, the council isn't changing anything before April, and will not do so on light grounds. You have the right on your opinions, but you can only speak on behalf yourself. So please, don't claim that everybody have similar thoughts on a given subject, or tell us what we can or cannot do. Thank you.

On topic, most combo decks don't really care about Will as already stated. I for myself would love to see borderline playable decks like TPS-Dragonstorm to became serious alternatives, but I fear it needs more than just Will to accomplish that.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Kristian

Quote from: LasH on 06-02-2011, 02:59:27 PM

Because we want interaction. I suggest you read some topic's from "highlander founder" frank topel aka sturmgott about this discussion.
So we don't want combo decks to be equally viable when compared with control and aggro?
There can be only one!

God_of_War

QuoteWhat about the dreamhalls combo?
Sorry, but Dreamhalls combo? Which dreamhalls-"combos" are out there? DH+Conflux/Prog/Cruel Ultimatum (see T1.5)? So is Show and Tell+Emrakul also a "combo"? Its very clear that YW+DH does nothing on its own, u need a bunch of other good cards to "go off". And one last question about DH: How many decks play DH atm? Im really interested.
QuoteYW will boost any combo deck alot
No.
Quoteeven dragonstorm highlander will use it - a rare decktyp but i know it was played 2 grand prix ago
Dont think I really have to comment this any further.
QuoteNot only TPs will profit, all storm combo decks will from an unban.
How many Storm-Combo decks are out there right now? Zero?
QuoteI agree that it won't boost the decks played alot atm,
Aha.
Quotebut if you unban a card you should always watch more than the current meta. A thing u cant do well.
So according to this reasoning, how can you ever unban a card? Hm?
QuoteAnd everybody will agree, that this is a boost for every combo deck
No, again.
Quoteand we dont want combo decks to go to tier1.
Aha, so with YW unbanning Combo will be tier 1 (Dragonstorm maybe?), interesting.

LasH

Quote from: God_of_War on 06-02-2011, 05:29:52 PM
QuoteWhat about the dreamhalls combo?
Sorry, but Dreamhalls combo? Which dreamhalls-"combos" are out there? DH+Conflux/Prog/Cruel Ultimatum (see T1.5)? So is Show and Tell+Emrakul also a "combo"? Its very clear that YW+DH does nothing on its own, u need a bunch of other good cards to "go off". And one last question about DH: How many decks play DH atm? Im really interested.
QuoteYW will boost any combo deck alot
No.
Quoteeven dragonstorm highlander will use it - a rare decktyp but i know it was played 2 grand prix ago
Dont think I really have to comment this any further.
QuoteNot only TPs will profit, all storm combo decks will from an unban.
How many Storm-Combo decks are out there right now? Zero?
QuoteI agree that it won't boost the decks played alot atm,
Aha.
Quotebut if you unban a card you should always watch more than the current meta. A thing u cant do well.
So according to this reasoning, how can you ever unban a card? Hm?
QuoteAnd everybody will agree, that this is a boost for every combo deck
No, again.
Quoteand we dont want combo decks to go to tier1.
Aha, so with YW unbanning Combo will be tier 1 (Dragonstorm maybe?), interesting.

Very constructive god of war. If u can't discuss in a proper way dont talk to me.

If all think yw needs an unban go for it. Not the first time ppl need to remember what makes a format frustrating. (Hi Library)

and @ nastboi: I play for about 15 years now and i read the discussions about a highlander format from the very first time. If i say "we" i only the speak for ppl who want interaction in the format. And i know that the majority decided once to not make combo tier1. Council changed, so did principles?

And im done now, i stated my opinion and i feel like its just a discussion about me vs the rest. So i close my statements with

Quote from: Sturmgott on 01-02-2011, 12:43:09 PM

Don't open that box of Pandora again!

:) hf all ;)

Kristian

LasH, please comment
Quote from: Kristian on 06-02-2011, 03:34:33 PM
Quote from: LasH on 06-02-2011, 02:59:27 PM

So we don't want combo decks to be equally viable when compared with control and aggro?
There can be only one!

Tiggupiru

Combo shouldn't be tier 1, because people who don't know how to play against it, think they cannot interact with it.