Life from the Loam: ban or not?

Ban it.
15 (46.9%)
Don't ban it.
17 (53.1%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: 13-07-2010, 09:12:39 PM

r4nd0m1z3r

Hey guys, what are the current numbers on this topic? Life or no Life? Please vote! Comments are appreciated too. Thanks.
You can see the results after you have voted. 

Hi Leute, was sind die aktuellen Zahlen zu diesem Thema? Life oder kein Life? Bitte stimmt ab! Kommentare werden auch gerne gesehen. Danke.
Du kannst die Ergebnisse sehen, nachdem du abgestimmt hast.

Regards/Grüße, r4zr

Sturmgott

Please do not make yourself illusions. We are not going begin banning based on polls, neither are we taking back a decision that you don't seem to like.

As to get a picture about how the community thinks this is fine, of course.

Please wait for the official banning reasons that will be publishes by the end of this week.

r4nd0m1z3r

Quote from: Sturmgott on 05-07-2010, 09:20:07 PM
Please do not make yourself illusions. We are not going begin banning based on polls, neither are we taking back a decision that you don't seem to like.

As to get a picture about how the community thinks this is fine, of course.

Please wait for the official banning reasons that will be publishes by the end of this week.

Thanks for the advice, and I truly respect the Highlander Rat and its decisions. As i understand it, once you have made an announcement, you will not take it back.

At the same time, I expect the Highlander Rat to aknowledge whatsoever result of this poll and take it into consideration for future decisions.

Apart from that, I have posted some of my own opinions on this topic already at http://www.magicplayer.org/ (commentsection, in german), and I am planning to speak out my mind here some more in the comments. Probably as a response to the official banning reasons.

For now, Im more curious to see how this poll goes and what some of the players think.

Regards, r4zr

W0lf

LftL+ Gifts are the 2 best highlander Cards imo,
I remember playing alot of games where LftL decided the game, against aggro with maze or against multicolor with wasteland.
Especially against aggro a Maze that cannot be destroyed decides way too many games.
Crucible is far more balanced simply because there are more ways to deal with it, not just GY hate.
Also without LftL some kind of Land destruction deck could be playable.

Think the ban helps the format overall

Tiggupiru

I've already stated my opinions about Loam, but here goes: I don't think it much of an problem. With Gifts, or without. There was a time when I tried to abuse it with any ways I could, as I thought it is hugely powered card drawing machine. Once you get the ball rolling it's quite good. Providing two to three cards for the price of one dredge, and utility lands to help in most of given situations.

Before that though, tempoloss that comes when trying to get your card drawing loam engine going, is too much. Seemingly ubiquitous GY- and nonbasic hate had bigger impact than I would have liked. Especially Price of Progress was really something I didn't want to see.

This is pretty much the biggest problem that I have regarding Loam. You need to commit much of your deck to utilize it effectively, this leads you drawing too many lands, ETB lands or bunch of Gargoyle Castles early in the game, and get blown away by fast draws and hate cards. If my control opponent was playing a combo kill, it usually got me while I was busy trying to find relevant non-land cards.

Tempo plays huge part in this format, and I feel that Loam is not able to give enough in return to justify playing it. Few exceptions aside, like stax with geddons, wildfires and stuff, but those decks use loam mostly because it helps them to recover from armageddon.

Besides, if Gifts + Loam is THE best combo you can think of, which one of those two cards is the real culprit?