Main Menu

[HLL]Best Deck Season IV - VI

Started by Vazdru, 02-07-2009, 02:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vazdru

Quote from: Georg B on 10-07-2009, 12:53:05 AM
Well, but there is the Highlander-Mulligan.

So it could be, that there is a deck that uses the mulligan in a way to find answeres I the owner knows the deck of the opponent. So he might loose all first games, but he could be able to win each second and third game.
I know, thats improbable, but it could be.  :P

Imo HL Mulligan isn't a paramter which should be included. Beyond that best-of-three is just a random limitation. We also could say best-of-five or best-of-seven with always different results:

Just a short example:

deck A vs deck B 2-1 0-2 2-1 0-2 2-1 2-1

games: 8-8 (even -> for me the logical result cause it doesn't matter if its game 2 or 3 in a match)
best-of-3: 4-2 (deck A seems 2:1 favourite, if you  swap g3 of match 1 and g2 of match 2 you will get a quite different result - that's a bit loose isn't it  ???)
best-of-5: 1-2 (deck B seems 2:1 favourite  ::) rubbish ?)

three different approaches with three different results
imo the first approach is by far the best one, the rest is just random and not worth to mention
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Vazdru

Quote from: Sturmgott on 10-07-2009, 01:10:41 AM
The most important thing which makes this statistic kind of irrelevant is that in the HLL, people can see what deck their opponents play before choosing what they play. This distorts the results in a way that I don't think anything at all can be deducted from the HLL results - except for maybe who can play well.

I think no statistics of this kind which doesn't include thousands of games will ever give you some funded knowledge about the strength of decks. And on the other hand if you have the basement of thousands of games the statement above is quite irrelevant too.

Its just the law of large numbers. So we have 599 games recorded (and not like some guys saying above 1000; you have to divide by 2  ;)) it's not more than a bauble.

Btw. it isn't right that people can see what deck their opponents have chosen ... hmm k, maybe when you play vs Mythrandir  ;)
Far below the earth

Sensenmann

Yeah Mythrandir plays the same deck over and over again  :D. But with Payron people knew what deck he would play and he owned them despite this knowledge (except for me, with my UW-Control Antiaggro-build ;D). So the Borosdeck stands on top for some reason!

Furthermore, most people will tend to play a new stylish deck in this onlineleague to test it because they don't care about their winrate. For me the online-league was a good test- and playground for my new BGW-Recursion. It did fairly well so I moved on (ok UW was some kind of metagaming). Next league I will play a totally different deck (hopefully for the whole season) no matter what my opponent is playing just for testing it.
That's the beauty of this league: No entrance fee, so you can test your new deck ideas for low cost in a tourney environment where some people respond to the metagame and some people just want to test or have fun.

Cheers and have a nice day!

Mythrandir

Quote from: Sensenmann on 11-07-2009, 05:37:34 PM
Yeah Mythrandir plays the same deck over and over again  :D. But with Payron people knew what deck he would play and he owned them despite this knowledge (except for me, with my UW-Control Antiaggro-build ;D). So the Borosdeck stands on top for some reason!

Well, actually he played a couple of different decks, from aggro (Boros, zoo) to control/midrange (survival) so that's at least 3 different decks :P not to take any credit from him! But yes, knowing what deck your playing against is very important specially with something like the HL mulligan where you can hide stuff that isn't very important vs that kind of deck.

And yes, i believe i´ll still be piloting my old 5cc next season :D

Payron

True I tryed out like always decks I wanna build up in real life and taht needs a lot of testings :) ... still love survival but I think I wanna play some sort of aggro because I am more a aggro then a control player ... my favorite deck is still my old T2 rats deck around mirrodin and kamigawa ... but you can never fit a aggro deck with such a cool lock into highlander ... so I am gonna go on and try more decks out :)

Vazdru

I wanna update this list after Season VII is over and I'll add some further parameter.

Therefor I need some help/feedback!

K = Combo
C = Control
A = Aggro

AC = Aggro-Control
KC = Combo-Control

Entchantress C
4-Color-Control C
UW-Skies AC
5-Color-Control C
UG-Skies AC
U-Skies A
WW A
Zoo A
Heartbeat-Combo K
Survival C
RDW A
Red Death A
Mono-Black-Sui A
BG-Rucursion C
UW-Control C
Aggro-Loam AC
UG-Control C
UB-Aggro A
UR-Control C
MG-Aggro A
WGB A
UGW-Control C
Reanimator KC
Elves K
RW-LD C
Staxx C
BW-Aggro A
3C-Oath KC
3C-Zoo A
TPS K
5C-Oath KC
Dragonstorm K
Tokens A
Battle of Wits K
RG-Beatz A
Boros A
Dreamhalls K
Bant AC
Black-Control C
RB-Gobbos A
MW-Control C
RBW-Aggro A
Aluren K
UWB-Control C

Any corrections, developments?

Far below the earth

Mythrandir

I don't know about there, but here, we usually don't consider things like oath and reanimator combo.. combo is something, whether on turn 1 or turn 10 you go off and (usually) you win or lose (becomes a lot harder to win after) that very same turn.

i would consider KC that 5CC featuring stuff+ guilty, but not a 5C oath. Just my opinion.

peeler

I think elves is somthing like Aggro-Combo, because often just x attacking elves make the game.

Mythrandir

Quote from: peeler on 02-10-2009, 11:24:32 AM
I think elves is somthing like Aggro-Combo, because often just x attacking elves make the game.

hmmm.. could be, but more because of staff of domination and stuff, rather than just a massive attack.

Payron

Still is for me some kind of aggro combo XD

Vazdru

K - I'll change

Elves! -> AK
Oath -> C
Enchantress -> KC
Far below the earth

Nastaboi

Battle of Wits is combo-control. In many matches, one can play half an hour pure control countering spells, wrathing away creatures and drawing cards, and after gaining total control tutoring for the win. Combo mode only happens in certain matches with tutor+acceleration in hand.

You have listed my Swans deck under UR control, right? I am totally fine with that, because it is a pure control deck with combo on it just for finishing things up. Then again, you could list my Lark-Survival as a combo-control as if I have Survival, Gifts, Intuition or similar and opponent does nothing I will just combo him out of nowhere. It is difficult to draw a line here, because I think Stax or Oath with Doll-Conciense pure control.

One could also argue separating prison decks from control decks that attack mainly opponent's nonland cards. For example in Vintage, a Shop deck has no similarities to a Drain deck, but here lines bend and mix again.

Just something to consider, I am not requesting you to change anything except BoW from K to KC.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Vazdru

Quote from: Nastaboi on 04-10-2009, 08:17:04 AM
Just something to consider, I am not requesting you to change anything except BoW from K to KC.

changed

Survival is quite hard to assess. Sometimes it's quite aggroish but I think most Survival-Decks are more contol-like or even Combo-Control (Reveillark). As Reveillark is mostly the key-card i consider grading Survival as KC.

Far below the earth

Vazdru

Over 330 games have been played during season VII.

Guess which decks made it to 1-3 in season IV-VII! Btw. Boros is no longer top 3 actually.
Far below the earth

Mythrandir

Alluren? 5C with nonbasic hate?