Main Menu

[Shards] review

Started by Mythrandir, 24-09-2008, 04:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mythrandir

Once again we have a new expansion and once again here goes my review of the cards, concerning HL.
well, here goes:

white:

Battlegrace Angel - nice control card, if it attacks alone its an improved exalted angel, its CMC is quite fair and i dont think the exalted "thingy" is a huge problem for control.

Elspeth, Knight Errant - Like all PW, they seem playable. The fact that it has 2 +1 is quite interesting. The last ability isnt game winning, but having a horde of indestructible knights (and other permanents) is quite good.

Ethersworn canonist - good in stax decks and other artifact oriented decks. (will probably see play in t2, and extendend)

Knight of the white orchid - nice weenie creature.

Ranger of Eos - search for figure of destiny? of course i will... nice card. might just see some play.

Blue:

Couriers capsule - i prefer something like tidings, stroke of genius, etc... however this in staxx and similar decks (academy ruins) might be quite powerful.

Etherium Sculptor - quite good, and at common? will definitely see play in t2 and extended.. as for HL its hard to say, i like it but its too "killable"

Master of etherium - very good as as finisher creature in the right deck, too bad it has no evasion. (will probably be one of the chase rares of the set)

Mindlock orb - this upsets me a little bit... aven mindcensor was a bit harsh.. this is quite worse.. no fetchs, no demonic. i´. glad it costs 4.
will it be any good with Maralen?

Tezzeret the Seeker - well, one the best cards in the set. someone will probably find a way to brake this card. its quit elegant (and powerful), specially with artifact lands. I also like it quite a lot because its last ability is a game winner, unlike other PW. Very powerful card.

Black:

Ad Nausem - well in vintage and legacy this will probably see some play, as for HL i really dont know, IMO there are better things. but nice card, specially with top in play.

well, i´m quite disappointed with black. i dont see that many good black cards in this set... perhaps some with Unearth might see play in dredge decks, otherwise nothing very intresting.

Red:

Goblin assault - well, its no bitterblossom, but also quite good, might see play in tokenmania?!

Hell's thunder - balanced card. i like it for RDW and similar, the unearth lets u play in those mid/late games where u hope to draw a burn and draw a land instead..

Jund battlemage - the only battlemage worth of putting here. quite good, a must in limited.

Green:

Green didnt bring anything very exciting or new.
Wild nacatl - seems playable in a zoo like deck.

druid of the anima - mana fixer, might see play, just because its an elf.

Does anyone else see a good/interesting card here?! or its just me?! :S

Multicolor:

Ajani the vengeant - another PW, i like it, its good in aggro/control. will personally test it ou in my 5CC.

charms - nothing new here... some versatile cards. wont play with any of them, though.

Blightning - well, i´ve been playing versus a BR deck. this might just see play in that one.

Ultimatum(s) - hmmmm.. there is only 1 i´d play, the cruel ultimatum, its such a game turning card, however their costs seem really bad... specially for my 5cc, which is having (the most) problems with aggro/fast decks. so this wont help at all.. however in a more control metagame, this acts more or less like a win condition.

Broodmate dragon - Really good card. the 1st time i read it, i thought it was haste + EOT and said Meh.. my mistake. 6 mana for 2 4/4 flyers seems really, really interesting. even for aggro decks 6 mana isnt that much. i think the biggest problem is the mana combination. not many BRG decks around.

Empyrial Archangel - i havent made up my mind with this 1. the fact that it has shroud really attracts me and the 5/8 body is quite good making it bit out of reach for burn spells (targeting me..) but the 8 CMC is a huge "auch...". what do u think about this 1.. i probably test it out only to see it wont help against fast decks and will cut it out.. :S (BTW, timmy card... lol)

Hellkite Overlord - might just see some play in oath/reanimation decks. i like it a lot. better (in some situations) than akroma. a must, IMO, in an oath deck.

Hindering light - the only decent counter of the set. Cantrips are always nice and welcome. good for Vazdru UW skies. vindicate on BTB, i think not :P

Realm razer (aka: worldgorger dragon v 2.0) - its a bit pricy, but a walking "geddon" seems nice. even if it doesnt see play

rip clan crasher - aggro creature. nothing fancy.. move along.

Sarkhan vol - probably one of the most expensive cards in the set (thks a lot for mythic, Wotc). nice card. first ability definitly aggro (too bad...) the 2nd is useful in aggro and control and the last leaves your opponent in a 1 turn death clock (unless u have Anger in grave :P). very powerful card.

Sedraxis specter - like it alot because of the unearth. color combination arent the most current ones playing, though.

Stoic Angel - my favorite card for this set. nice art, nice abilities, nice 3/4 body. nice control creature. way better than lighning angel (for my 5cc). its a flyer (which i was searching to add more in my deck), it stops mass attacks. i "always" get the upper hand, cause i can attack with her + another.. as soon as a patch is avalaible i´m putting it in.

wooly thoctar - nice card in zoo. zoo gets some nice creature cards in this set.

Artifacts

Lich's mirror - another card that screams to be broken, probably not in HL, though.

Minion reflector - interesting card. specially with come into play abilities. biggest problem "you control", otherwise good.

Quietus spike - shadow, fear, islandwalk, flying, unblockable.. well.. scary. and it even has deathtouch.. (this + Jhessian Infiltrator  in a draft... auch)

Obelisks are nice, but i think i prefer talismans and signet.

Lands:
Hurray for Wotc for making common and uncommon mana fixers. not that it will make a huge difference in HL.
they could have least made (1??! not even 1??) some interesting lands (with nice abilities).

Well, any comments? any card i forgot? any card that u strongly disagree?!
Hope to see some posts here.