Main Menu

Heartbeat combo (UGw)

Started by Nastaboi, 05-10-2008, 08:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nastaboi

I have also though about revisiting the deck. I don't like that you stuff the deck with all those fancy cards that do nothing until you already have mana enchantment going. Original deck was so effective as it had no dead draws like Emrakul, T & N or Mindslaver. Lightstorm's list looks more like turboland to me, which is fine deck at itself, but I'd like the deck more focused. 30+ lands, dozen rampant growths, two Heartbeats, dozen untappers, eight best counters, four to five Regrowths, some fogs and the rest just draw/tutor/filter. Stroke/Invoke the Firemind/Rude Awakening are more than enough for actually winning the game.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Tabris

I absolutly agree with Naste here. Focus on the combo. Emrakul is interesting though. With High Tide or Rude Awakening it maybe a viable strategy.

Ball.Lightning

When speaking about Emrakul :-)

What I am going to tell here is pretty much untested, but it came across my mind, when the biggest Eldrazi was first spoiled.

Have someone noticed, that Palinchron + Sneak Attack = ininite mana? + it cheats Emrakul which is generally GG. Against heavy counter decks Emrakul could be nice option (despite Bribery).

pyyhttu

Power Artifact and Grim Monolith is endless mana with UU2. You'd need a third card for the kill, or several others with tilt to colorless to set up a superior board position. This works somewhat in staxx/accelerated blue which already have suitable tutors in place to search for the Grim Monolith and _may_ utilize Power Artifact alone to some extent.

In your scenario, with 2RUU and two cards you get infinite mana too, but the tutors aren't there, just the draw. And Sneak Attack stuck in your hand sounds quite awful scenario.

All I'm saying is that Sneak Attack, while nice, doesn't feel to fit well into the frame of a High Tide/Heartbeat-combo, even with Emrakul.

But nice find (didn't know of the combo) and definitely something to try, so go for it and let us know!

Ball.Lightning

I dont question Power Artifact and Grim Monolith combo - I think it is weaker than this in our context, just because the deck, that normally runs them does not usually consider it to be main win condition and therfore the the tutoring for third win con might be problem (+this combo produce only color less mana).

Hearhtbeat deck without Palinchron is pile of dummy spells, that either draws or ramps or untaps lands. The only thing it glues together is Palinchron. U always need Palinchron to win. So if there is another enabler ie. Sneak Atack, it might be good. Winning via Sneak Attack could utilize some tutors, that were left behind in current builds - I mean Wordly tutor and Sylvan tutor. But I agree, that general aproach to this deck does not works well with Sneak Attack. This version would need more creatures, that are interesting on their own and works for the combo. This is problem, that I see.

TeKo

@Nastaboi: Could you post your latest list?

I played some games with my old list but wasnt working that great ;)

Nastaboi

Sure. Note that this is not tuned at all, just 100 first cards that I though I wanted to play. I realize that I'm missing some essentials, you may point them if I don't notice it myself.

// Lands (30)

7 Fetchlands (U/G)
    9 Snow-Covered Forest
    1 Snow-Covered Mountain
    10 Snow-Covered Island
    3 Duals

// Acceleration (10) (just the best ones)

1 Search for Tomorrow

1 Wall of Roots
    1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
    1 Three Visits
    1 Into the North
    1 Nature's Lore
    1 Rampant Growth
    1 Explore
    1 Farseek

1 Harrow

// Draw/tutor (25) (maybe too much clumsy draw)

1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Ponder
    1 Preordain
    1 Personal Tutor

1 Sylvan Library
    1 Merchant Scroll
    1 Impulse

1 Drift of Phantasms
    1 Compulsive Research
    1 Timetwister
    1 Intuition

1 Deep Analysis
    1 Harmonize
    1 Concentrate
    1 Careful Consideration
    1 Foresee
    1 Fact or Fiction
    1 Gifts Ungiven

1 Future Sight
    1 Tidings

1 Braingeyser
    1 Mind Spring
    1 Stroke of Genius
    1 Invoke the Firemind (it really works)

// Regrowth (4) (could be five)

1 Regrowth
    1 Nostalgic Dreams
    1 Recollect
    1 Eternal Witness

// Combo (15) (forgot to add Treachery, it surely belongs)

1 Heartbeat of Spring
    1 Mana Flare
    1 Frantic Search
    1 Early Harvest

1 Turnabout

1 Time Warp
    1 Capture of Jingzhou
    1 Temporal Manipulation
    1 Peregrine Drake
    1 Rude Awakening
    1 Panoptic Mirror (random but too tempting with 4 walks)

1 Time Spiral
    1 Mind's Desire
    1 Walk the Aeons

1 Palinchron

// Control (16) (could use more slots)

1 Mana Leak
    1 Mana Drain
    1 Remand
    1 Arcane Denial
    1 Delay
    1 Negate
    1 Memory Lapse
    1 Tangle
    1 Lull
    1 Moment's Peace
    1 Constant Mists
    1 Wall of Blossoms

1 Firespout

1 Pact of Negation
    1 Force of Will
    1 Condescend

Cut Meditate as more focus on time walks. Helms not in as lesser need to chain spells, could be added. Counterspells with double mana cost avoided. Propably needs some bounce.

Ball.Lightning

Nastaboi: I see one big problem in your deck. It can't handle hate(Winter Orb, Gaddock, Mindcesor, Tefferi). Only proactive card, that solves something is Firespout and that is not enought in my opinion. Your deck is too much "all in beat". Pernament hate is one thing and counter wars with control is another. I think u run too few mana+acc to start the engine in time consistently.

Nastaboi

Quote from: Nastaboi on 03-10-2010, 10:44:23 AM
Propably needs some bounce.

Too few mana/acc is balanced by mulliganing aggressively.

Ball.Lightning

I am testing Emrakul for some time and it seems realy solid to me. It fit's nicely in the deck. The biggest upside of him in the deck is the fact, that the deck has two effective ways of winning. One through palinchron, and the second one through emrakul. So deck itself cant be disrupted just by removing or stealing palinchron. More kills are still done by palinchron combo, but emrakul works nicely as backup. The fact, it cant be countered realy helps against control. I would recommend Emrakul just in more controlish builds of Heartbeat decks. I dont think it would do much good in Nastaboi's list.

I would emphasize one more thing - I realy like fun times, when hardcasting Emrakul and I watching the the pain in opponents face :-)

Btw. is anyone testing UGrw version of this deck, or everyone stuck with UGr version?