Main Menu

RDW; suggestions please

Started by grizzledmage, 19-11-2008, 05:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzledmage

So the MGA deck that I currently have (thanks to all of you for the great recommendations!) seems to be doing OK; maybe I'll try it for the next tournament (time willing, of course...). [Wondering if I should try to squeeze Sylvan Scrying in there...]

In the meantime, a couple months ago I tried a straight R burn deck; although it would either win or lose quickly there were too many entries in the "lose" category. I figured a RDW kind of deck would be better, but although I see the archetype referred to here I have not seen any decklists... here's my first stab at it:

// Lands (38)
    1 Temple of the False God
    1 Keldon Megaliths
    1 Mishra's Factory
    28 Snow-Covered Mountain
    1 Wasteland
    1 Mutavault
    1 Forgotten Cave
    1 Ghitu Encampment
    1 Scrying Sheets
    1 Smoldering Crater
    1 Fungal Reaches

// Creatures(35)
    1 Demigod of Revenge
    1 Blood Knight
    1 Ashenmoor Liege
    1 Rorix Bladewing
    1 Murderous Redcap
    1 Duergar Assailant
    1 Mudbutton Torchrunner
    1 Cinder Pyromancer
    1 Flameblast Dragon
    1 Akroma, Angel of Fury
    1 Greater Gargadon
    1 Keldon Marauders
    1 Boggart Ram-Gang
    1 Jackal Pup
    1 Goblin Patrol
    1 Vexing Shusher
    1 Duergar Hedge-Mage
    1 Dominus of Fealty
    1 Arc-Slogger
    1 Mogg Fanatic
    1 Magus of the Scroll
    1 Figure of Destiny
    1 Boartusk Liege
    1 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    1 Avatar of Discord
    1 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Fireslinger
    1 Ashenmoor Gouger
    1 Stigma Lasher
    1 Kamahl, Pit Fighter
    1 Vulshok Sorcerer
    1 Flametongue Kavu
    1 Giant Solifuge
    1 Anger
    1 Fulminator Mage

// Other (27)
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Lava Blister
    1 Demonfire
    1 Rift Bolt
    1 Foriysian Totem
    1 Shock
    1 Nevinyrral's Disk
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Lava Burst
    1 Goblin Charbelcher
    1 Kaervek's Torch
    1 Pyrokinesis
    1 Violent Eruption
    1 Incinerate
    1 Magma Jet
    1 Flame Javelin
    1 Fireball
    1 Char
    1 Volcanic Hammer
    1 Lightning Bolt
    1 Disintegrate
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Aftershock
    1 Fireblast
    1 Molten Rain
    1 Browbeat

One that I'm looking at is Balefire Liege - thoughts on that?

Any other suggestions?

Mythrandir

well, the only i know (posted) is this one RDW list from an early GP piloted (built?) by Marco Blume
You can probably use the main body of the deck, however since its an old build you might want to consider new cards, and different meta.

As for your list i´d change:

Lands:
- temple of false god
+ barbarian ring
-cut some basic lands (you play 38 altogether, which i think is too many for the archetype)
+ moxes? (chrome, diamond)?

Creatures:
you seem to have a lot of high CMC, you might consider cutting some of these

+ add more gobs, i personally like playing with some gobs: lackey, flunkies, recruiter + ringleader is  must
+ magus of the moon
+ ball ligtning

spells:

- pyroclasm (seems more control than aggro)
-Nevinyrral's Disk
+Price of progress
+sudden shock
+ black vise
+ sulfuric vortex
+cursed scroll
+ flames of the blood hand
+ avalanche riders
+ some equipment?

Some initial ideas for your to test

grizzledmage

Quote from: Mythrandir on 19-11-2008, 06:37:32 PM
well, the only i know (posted) is this one RDW list from an early GP piloted (built?) by Marco Blume
You can probably use the main body of the deck, however since its an old build you might want to consider new cards, and different meta.

As for your list i´d change:

Lands:
- temple of false god
+ barbarian ring
-cut some basic lands (you play 38 altogether, which i think is too many for the archetype)
+ moxes? (chrome, diamond)?

I definitely like the idea of Chrome Mox; I do have 1 and I should have thought of it; maybe swap that in for Temple of the False God. (TotFG there for the higher CC spells and those with X; Mox pretty much does the same thing only better) Regarding the # of lands, it is interesting that Blume's version also runs 38.

Creatures:
you seem to have a lot of high CMC, you might consider cutting some of these

True, although some of the spells with 6+ CC can be played for less (suspend, alternate casting cost, morph)... but that still leaves about 9 cards with 5 or higher CC.

+ add more gobs, i personally like playing with some gobs: lackey, flunkies, recruiter + ringleader is  must
+ magus of the moon
+ ball ligtning

Magus of the Moon was in originally; seems fragile and Blood Moon does same thing; OTOH I did (and still do) like it, so...
Ball Lightning was an auto-include until I saw that I have none. More gobs, hm...

spells:

- pyroclasm (seems more control than aggro)
-Nevinyrral's Disk
+Price of progress
+sudden shock
+ black vise
+ sulfuric vortex
+cursed scroll
+ flames of the blood hand
+ avalanche riders
+ some equipment?

Pyroclasm was in and out more times than, well use your imagination, but in the first time out against another player it literally saved the game for me. I knew I could win on the next turn, but he went off on a Teysa/Saffi/Crypt Champion combo; all of a sudden I'm staring at 100,000 flying Spirit tokens. Lucky I had the Pyroclasm in hand; next turn I mostly cleared the board (he used Teysa to remove my Demigod in the meantime); then the following turn ended the game with direct damage.

Nevinyrral' Disk; I still fear lockdown situations and can't think of another clear-the-daylights-away solution.

PoP is another in-out-in-out card; still considering this one. Cursed Scroll is not in my collection (hence Magus instead) nor is Sulfuric Vortex; others are exc. suggestions that I am adding to the mix.

Some initial ideas for your to test

Many thanks!

Mythrandir

Quote Regarding the # of lands, it is interesting that Blume's version also runs 38.

perhaps, it was prior to the new mull rule, dunno. i think u can cut 3-4 lands easily, but this is just a matter of testing.

QuoteMagus of the Moon was in originally; seems fragile and Blood Moon does same thing;

Indeed magus of the moon is more fragile but if u can have both, why dont play both ;)

QuotePyroclasm was in and out more times than, well use your imagination, but in the first time out against another player it literally saved the game for me. I knew I could win on the next turn, but he went off on a Teysa/Saffi/Crypt Champion combo; all of a sudden I'm staring at 100,000 flying Spirit tokens. Lucky I had the Pyroclasm in hand; next turn I mostly cleared the board (he used Teysa to remove my Demigod in the meantime); then the following turn ended the game with direct damage.

Nevinyrral' Disk; I still fear lockdown situations and can't think of another clear-the-daylights-away solution.

well, i think these 2 should be cut. RDW is all about killing not avoid being killed, just my opinion.

QuotePoP is another in-out-in-out card; still considering this one. [/b]

well, thats fine by me since i play 5CC ;) but PoP is such a devastating card every deck plays nonbasic lands, even monocolored decks so, at worst its a 1R that deals 2 damage?! (i know at worst it deals zero...)

QuoteMany thanks!

no prob

Vazdru

My "Big Red" looks similiar to you decklist. I just had a look on it and saw following differences:

+Ball Lightning
+Blistering Firecat
+Deus of Calamity
+Gathan Raiders
+Rakdos Pit Dragon
+Taurean Mauler
+Incendiary Command
+Price of Progress
+Molten Disaster
+Ruination
+Starstorm
+Sword of Fire and Ice

-Goblin Charbelcher
-Shock
-Lava Blister
-Char
-Fireslinger
-Goblin Patrol
-Aftershock
-Jackal Pup
-Anger
-Volcanic Hammer
-Kamahl, Pit Fighter

I also play Earthquake, Wildfire, Sulforous Blast + Stuffy Doll (also Skred and Basic Mountains = Snow-Covered basic-Mountains).

My deck runs just a few 1-drops (4 => Grim Lavamancer, Skred, Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning) so i added Chalice of the Void. It's always a nice Turn 2 play vs aggro :).

I play Ancient Tomb + City of Traitors + Simian Spirit Guide + Lotus Bloom for my huge guys like Akroma, Slogger, Demigod, Pit Dragon, Rorix, Deus....

Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

grizzledmage

Just in case anyone's interested...  Yes I have tried out the current version of this deck (I call it RDttW, for Red Deck tries to Win), and it's doing so-so against random people on MWS worldwide, currently running about 60%-70% in wins.

Of course, when I encounter one of you guys, that's another story... f'rinstance, I recently encountered Georg B trying out a new deck of his own, and he won 2-1. In my own defense, I will say that one of the games he won I was a mere life-point from victory, and the deck at least behaved in all 3 games. (Including Jackal Pup in all three, although once he FoW-ed it on my first turn... a good move on his part since that was the game he ended at 1.)

Note to Georg B - I suppose I should know my deck better.... at the end of that last game, I DID have an answer in the deck but not in hand (assuming it would show up in time): Dominus of Fealty. GG's for sure, though!

Mythrandir

Quote from: grizzledmage on 03-12-2008, 07:20:17 PM
Just in case anyone's interested...  Yes I have tried out the current version of this deck (I call it RDttW, for Red Deck tries to Win), and it's doing so-so against random people on MWS worldwide, currently running about 60%-70% in wins.

Of course, when I encounter one of you guys, that's another story... f'rinstance, I recently encountered Georg B trying out a new deck of his own, and he won 2-1. In my own defense, I will say that one of the games he won I was a mere life-point from victory, and the deck at least behaved in all 3 games. (Including Jackal Pup in all three, although once he FoW-ed it on my first turn... a good move on his part since that was the game he ended at 1.)

Note to Georg B - I suppose I should know my deck better.... at the end of that last game, I DID have an answer in the deck but not in hand (assuming it would show up in time): Dominus of Fealty. GG's for sure, though!

60-70 thats good, now its just a matter of tunning for the metagame. Peharps with new decklist from the GP you´ll have a better idea. There were a lot of aggro in the top8...

GoblinPiledriver

I think with Zendikar you could reanimate the good old Goblin-Sligh Highlander. In my Goblin Highlander i played black a very long time for Demonic Tutor, Dark Confidant, Bitterblossom , Dauthi Horror, Squieking Pie Sneak,Mad Auntie, Wort Boggart Auntie,Thoughtseize, Duress  and so on..

But I think this was not worth it, I played almost mono-red(for cards like Boggart-Ram Gang, Figure of Destiny, Slith Firewalker) with a little black splash for the above metioned cards.

So this is the new Try:

29 Mountain
Mishra`s Factory
Mutavault
Wasteland
Barbarian Ring

Frenzied Goblin
Goblin Lackey
Goblin Guide
Goblin Taskmaster
Mogg Fanatic
Grim Lavamancer
Tattermunge Maniac
Figure of Destiny

Slith Firewalker
Warren Instigator
Keldon Marauders
Hellspark Elemental
Emberwilde Augur
Mogg War Marshall
Dragon Fodder
Goblin Piledriver
Goblin Recruiter
Mogg Flunkies
Sparksmith
Blood Knight
Stigma Lasher

Goblin Warchief
Goblin Chieftain
Goblin King
Goblin Matron
Goblin Ruinblaster
Gempalm Incinerator
Boggart Ram Gang
Magus of the Moon
Goblin Sharpshooter
Hell`s Thunder
Ball Lightning
Ashmour Gouger
Viashino Sandstalker

Flametongue Kavu
Goblin Ringleader
Goblin Goon
Skizzik
Mogg Catcher
Elemental Appeal
Blistering Firecat

Kikki Jikki Mirrorbreaker
Siege Gang Commander
Arcslogger

Flameblast

Lightning Bolt
Chain Lightning
Rift Bolt
Lava Spike
Cursed Scroll
Aether Vial
Goblin Grenade
Tarfire
Brute Force

Incinerate
Volcanic Hammer
Fire Ambush
Magma Jet
Price of Progress
Winter Orb

Flame Javelin
Char
Blood Moon
Molten Rain
Sulfuric Vortex
Sword of Fire and Ice
Grafted Wargear
Arc Lightning

Comments are welcomed.
Greetings
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.