Main Menu

GRW (Mana, Moons and Midrange)

Started by Storm, 25-01-2009, 12:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storm

Hello,

This is the latest version. I'm quite satisfied with the curve and the deck overall.

The deck

Mana

1 Barbarian Ring
1 Battlefield Forge
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 City of Brass
1 Fire-Lit Thicket
1 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Flooded Strand
6 Forest
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Karplusan Forest
5 Mountain
1 Pendelhaven
4 Plains
1 Plateau
1 Rugged Prairie
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Savannah
1 Stomping Ground
1 Taiga
1 Temple Garden
1 Wasteland
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Bastion
1 Wooded Foothills

1 Aether Vial
1 Mox Diamond

1 Birds of Paradise
1 Fyndhorn Elves
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Noble Hierarch

Creatures

1 Figure of Destiny
1 Frenzied Goblin
1 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
1 Jackal Pup
1 Jungle Lion
1 Kird Ape
1 Mother of Runes
1 Savannah Lions
1 Skyshroud Elite
1 Tattermunge Maniac
1 Wild Nacatl

1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Goblin Legionnaire
1 Scab-Clan Mauler
1 Steward of Valeron
1 Tarmogoyf
1 Thornscape Familiar
1 Tin Street Hooligan
1 Vexing Shusher
1 Watchwolf

1 Boggart Ram-Gang
1 Burning-Tree Shaman
1 Duergar Hedge-Mage
1 Kitchen Finks
1 Magus of the Moon
1 Troll Ascetic
1 Woolly Thoctar

1 Flametongue Kavu
1 Giant Solifuge
1 Loxodon Hierarch
1 Ranger of Eos

1 Exalted Angel

Spells

1 Chain Lightning
1 Lightning Bolt
1 Rancor
1 Reckless Charge
1 Seal of Fire
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Tarfire

1 Incinerate
1 Lightning Helix
1 Price of Progress
1 Sigil Blessing
1 Winter Orb

1 Blood Moon
1 Call of the Herd
1 Grafted Wargear
1 Griffin Guide
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Tangle Wire

1 Ajani Vengeant
1 Armageddon
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Ravages of War
1 Ruination
1 Sarkhan Vol

1 Fireblast

Mythrandir

Seems weird that you play magus/blood/ruination, since Zoo is such a color intensive deck. i can get the PoP, since you can dish out the last final points of damage. But do you really want to drop a 3rd turn magus?

Did you decide to take this approach because you had problems with 4/5C decks?

Other than that it seems a "normal" zoo list. [Con] will probably bring a couple of cards to these lists.

p.s. there was already a thread for RWG ;) you could have posted it there:  http://www.magicplayer.org/forum/index.php?topic=132.0

Storm

Color intensity hasn't really been a problem with the new mulligan rule, but I understand the concern. During my thorough goldfishing, I have constantly been able to find the right colors of mana in the first turns of the game.

Third turn Magus certainly isn't the best thing this deck can provide, but I like the idea of being able to criple the mana base of many decks run in the format. Ruination acts often as a second Armageddon and Price of Progress is a fine way to finish the game.

To sum it up, if I was to play a deck with mana base filled with non-basics, I'd still play the same 4c zoo. Black has too many good cards for the deck not to include like Dark Confidant and Tidehollow Sculler. I never really had a problem with the deck, I just want something different this time.

Ps. I could've posted this to the other thread as well, but as the opening post didn't look too much like my deck, I decided to start my own. Now that I checked the link you provided, it's clear that this might've belonged there after all.

Mythrandir

Ok, i can see why you´re choosing this strategy. nonabasic hate is very important, and these cards win games on the spot, i´m just "concern" whether it will remain a solid build against aggro (or mono/duo colored decks).

Now it´s just a matter of testing versus aggro/control multi, and mono/duo. feel free to add me if you would like to test.

cya

so_not

A few things.
Manabase:
Add Chrome Mox, cut Mox Diamond.
I would play those shadowmoor-filterlands (fire-lit thicket, wooded bastion, rugged praerie) and maybe odyssey filters too. That adds your nonbasicland count so you should get rid of at least Flagstones of Trokair, probably even Pendelhaven and maybe barbarian ring and mutavault too. I really think Treetop Village is better than Mutavault. With the Moons you might cut a couple of Mountains in favor of other basic lands.

Dudes:
Add Hidden herd and Skyshroud Warbeast. I would actually build up your mana curve a little because there are some pretty bad two drops and you are missing some quite good three and four drops. That would unfortunately make Llannowar elves and his friends a must.
In my opinion these are suboptimal:
1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Radha, Heir to Keld
1 Rip-Clan Crasher
1 Ronom Unicorn
1 Serra Avenger
1 Steward of Valeron
1 Thornscape Familiar
And you are missing some nice dudes like Call of the herd, Troll Ascetic, Exalted Angel, Blistering Firecat, Dwarven Blastminer, Phantom Centaur, Loxodon Hierarch or something like those.

Spells:
Magma Jet is good. Garruk is better than those other planeswalkers. Winter Orb is a pain in the ass.

I'll try to think more some other time.

Storm

Thanks for the comments so_not.

For some reason, I like the Diamond more than Chrome Mox at least in a three colored deck. Also with the relatively high land count, I should always have a land to ditch for the Diamond. (Not to mention the fact that I own a japanese Diamond at the moment while I don't own a Chrome Mox.)

Shadowmoor filters are on their way to the deck while Odyssey filters are not. I'll probably cut Mutavault, but Treetop Village is not going to replace it since I don't want anything that comes into play tapped. It's also true that I could/should replace maybe two Mountains with a Plains and a Forest.

I pretty much agree what you said about the two drops and I cut them, but I'm going to keep Steward of Valeron and Thornscape Familiar. I just like the fact that both of them hit for 2 while giving mana acceleration or cheaper spells. Skyshroud Warbeast was an autoinclude, but I'm not really sure how much I want to focus against non-basics so Hidden Herd and Dwarven Blastminer are still "on hold".

I included Garruk and Winter Orb.

I went through some goldfishing with Llanowar Elves, Fyndhorn Elves, BoP and Noble Hierarch in the deck. I can see the upsides of this approach, but for some reason the deck didn't "feel" right. At least for the moment, I'm trying to optimize the curve and the drops without BoP & co.

I'm considering Cliffrunner Behemoth and Path to Exile from Conflux, don't really know yet if they fit in the deck.

I will post an updated list some time later this week.

Mythrandir

Quote from: Storm on 02-02-2009, 10:52:03 PM

Skyshroud Warbeast was an autoinclude, but I'm not really sure how much I want to focus against non-basics so Hidden Herd and Dwarven Blastminer are still "on hold".

IMO, dwarven isn´t aggro enough and hidden herd is better than war beast. if you´re playing first 2nd turn you drop a 1G 1/1 with trample that probably grows to 2/2 on 2nd turn (against multicolored decks) herd is a 1st turn drop that probably becomes a 3/3

QuoteI went through some goldfishing with Llanowar Elves, Fyndhorn Elves, BoP and Noble Hierarch in the deck. I can see the upsides of this approach, but for some reason the deck didn't "feel" right.

well, they are different approaches, but i´d cut bop probably, at least the elves and noble have aggro abilities. As for it doesnt feel right i think it´s a matter of personal taste. Either strategy is valid, and the rest of the mana curve also depends on it. Try and test both versions

QuoteI'm considering Cliffrunner Behemoth and Path to Exile from Conflux, don't really know yet if they fit in the deck.

it´s a nice 4 CMC, although you don´t play that many 4 CMC, so i probably wouldn´t include it. As for path of exile it´s really good especially VS control, what´s better than removing an exalted angel and only giving a land. But against aggro i think an STP can be better. it's just one of those cases that it really depends on th circunstances.

Storm

The opening post reflects the changes I made.