Main Menu

1st. of April 2010 - New HL bans

Started by pyyhttu, 01-04-2010, 11:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meteora

Quote from: Drexlin on 13-04-2010, 09:33:03 PM
Quote from: Dreamer on 01-04-2010, 01:46:45 PM
Still, especially now with Iona's printing, Survival and Entomb were pretty much necessary bans.

This is exactly the kind of thinking that gets us into these discussions.
"Uh-oh, there's a new card that makes X, Y, and Z broken! We should ban X, Y and Z."

WRONG! Ban the new card! If everyone has such a problem with Iona, ban her! Why ban multiple cards when you can just ban one?

Now, don't get me wrong, I agree with the banning of Survival and Entomb, I'm just using this as an example. (Sorry to pick on you, Dreamer ;) )

Quote from: Kassow-Rossing on 09-04-2010, 12:01:50 AM
And well to the Kiki-Jiki combo Buried Alive:
As the council tells us. The combo is a too fast and dangerous. Will be boring to play with and against.

Kiki-Jiki is the most fun and less overpowered of the two, so it should stay. Buried can be abused in many ways. Kiki-Jiki is just a cool card for FIVE mana lets you combo. Can also be used on a casual level for anything else. Buried is just always bad for a format.

So Kiki got unbanned, Buried got banned. Everybody should be happy because it can't be any other way.

The combo isn't Buried Alive/Kiki, it's Kiki/Pestermite and the combo still exists! Doesn't anyone else see this?

IMHO, there is no reason why Buried Alive should be banned.

You´ll also need karmicguide in grave ;-)

Drexlin

Quote from: meteora on 13-04-2010, 11:46:23 PM
Quote from: Drexlin on 13-04-2010, 09:33:03 PM
Quote from: Dreamer on 01-04-2010, 01:46:45 PM
Still, especially now with Iona's printing, Survival and Entomb were pretty much necessary bans.

This is exactly the kind of thinking that gets us into these discussions.
"Uh-oh, there's a new card that makes X, Y, and Z broken! We should ban X, Y and Z."

WRONG! Ban the new card! If everyone has such a problem with Iona, ban her! Why ban multiple cards when you can just ban one?

Now, don't get me wrong, I agree with the banning of Survival and Entomb, I'm just using this as an example. (Sorry to pick on you, Dreamer ;) )

As the council tells us. The combo is a too fast and dangerous. Will be boring to play with and against.

Kiki-Jiki is the most fun and less overpowered of the two, so it should stay. Buried can be abused in many ways. Kiki-Jiki is just a cool card for FIVE mana lets you combo. Can also be used on a casual level for anything else. Buried is just always bad for a format.

So Kiki got unbanned, Buried got banned. Everybody should be happy because it can't be any other way.

The combo isn't Buried Alive/Kiki, it's Kiki/Pestermite and the combo still exists! Doesn't anyone else see this?

IMHO, there is no reason why Buried Alive should be banned.

You´ll also need karmicguide in grave ;-)

Not necessarily. If I draw Kiki and Pestermite, I still win.

meteora

Yes you would do so. You would also win if your savannah lion will attack your opponent for lethal but thats not the topic!

Kassow-Rossing

Quote from: Tiggupiru on 09-04-2010, 10:55:20 AM
Quote from: Kassow-Rossing on 08-04-2010, 11:54:17 PMPlease.. I've played Iona from day one in my Oath deck and it's been more than 500 games so far. I know EXACTLY her up's and down's! I understand the fact that you're maybe overestimating her, but that doesn't make me underestimate her. That's just stupid! Of all the people who play Highlander, I think I'm the one who've had Iona on the Battlefield the most since it's release to be honest.

I am sorry, I didn't know you have played 5000 games with her! How stupid of me. I understand that makes you qualified to tell EXACTLY how powerful (or powerless) the card really is.

Well, do YOU have a decklist with that combo? I promise to shut up about the matter and acknowledge that I was wrong, if somebody presents a solid list that indicates how broken Buried Alive really is.

You make yourself look stupid if you do not read what I write properly! Try again please..

And yes I feel pretty qualified for answering just how good or bad it is to "cheat" Iona to battlefield. I've played reanimat. too with her. She's better there than in Oath. Oh and DerStefan82: Progenitus is not really a good creature for Oath. It's too slow and weak. It leaves a turn 2 clock which can be done better. It has no reach or vigilance so it doesn't protect you will in those two turns either.

No I do not have a decklist including Buried Alive because it's banned, jesus! Did you play Highlander before it got banned? Have you read the councils very reasonable argument for banning it? I'm not sure if I would ban it, but I understand that it is and why it is. I accept it too because it can really be broken sometimes.

Tiggupiru

Quote from: Kassow-Rossing on 15-04-2010, 01:23:24 AMNo I do not have a decklist including Buried Alive because it's banned, jesus!

You seemed so sure about the power of the combo, I thought you might have a list that is 500 games old.

Quote from: Kassow-Rossing on 15-04-2010, 01:23:24 AMDid you play Highlander before it got banned?

Yes.

Quote from: Kassow-Rossing on 15-04-2010, 01:23:24 AMHave you read the councils very reasonable argument for banning it?

Yes.

Quote from: Kassow-Rossing on 15-04-2010, 01:23:24 AMI'm not sure if I would ban it, but I understand that it is and why it is.

I try to, but I still can't. It just seems to be so inconsistent. And even if it was not, I would not agree with it.

Quote from: Kassow-Rossing on 15-04-2010, 01:23:24 AMI accept it too because it can really be broken sometimes.

I think I could accept it, if there were some consistency, but there hasn't been. I still would not like it as the deck I've been toying with just seems loose and something I would not take on to a tournament, because the random nature of the format requires you to have consistent combo that is not easily disrupted. Otherwise aggro will run over you and even your good matchups will pack several cards that are capable of destroying the combo. Effectively, making you jump through several hoops and giving opponents time to execute their own game plan. Not to mention prebanning a card that has seen no tournament top 8 play (excluding when being played without combo in a reanimator), is something I am really unsure about.

Kassow-Rossing

Quote from: Tiggupiru on 15-04-2010, 09:38:35 AM
Quote from: Kassow-Rossing on 15-04-2010, 01:23:24 AMNo I do not have a decklist including Buried Alive because it's banned, jesus!

You seemed so sure about the power of the combo, I thought you might have a list that is 500 games old.

This time you got the number correct :) Not 5000, 500!
No I have no deck list with the combo because it's banned. You can try it yourself or you can search for older decks in here or on magicplayer.org. (And just because I've played Oath 500 times with Iona since release, it doesn't mean that I've played 500 games with Buried Alive.)

Quote from: Tiggupiru on 15-04-2010, 09:38:35 AM
I try to, but I still can't. It just seems to be so inconsistent. And even if it was not, I would not agree with it.

I think I could accept it, if there were some consistency, but there hasn't been. I still would not like it as the deck I've been toying with just seems loose and something I would not take on to a tournament, because the random nature of the format requires you to have consistent combo that is not easily disrupted. Otherwise aggro will run over you and even your good matchups will pack several cards that are capable of destroying the combo. Effectively, making you jump through several hoops and giving opponents time to execute their own game plan. Not to mention prebanning a card that has seen no tournament top 8 play (excluding when being played without combo in a reanimator), is something I am really unsure about.

Well then I understand, finally! I guess you're never going to find out then. If you didn't play it back then or played against it, then there's really no way of showing it all to you. Sorry