Main Menu

The Quickening tournament (25th of august, Trnava)

Started by Mir, 29-07-2012, 05:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mir

Hello.

I would like to invite all Highlanders to the tournament in Trnava, Slovakia. We are inviting all players from Slovakia, Germany, Finland and Czech republic. Each country has its own specific metagame and we are eager to see international tournament.

For more information see www.quickening.eu

pyyhttu

Hi Mir,

Interesting prize structure you have: http://quickening.eu/?page_id=85

I'd try my best not to place 2nd, 3rd or 7th. Not sure about the salty 8th spot; don't have Leeches.

On a more serious note: I do happen to have my summer vacation during that date range, but you'd have to persuade me to visit Slovakia for other reasons too than just to play Magic.

So how would you sell this, any must see places/tourist attractions?

Mir

Well, it depends what you expect from a trip to Slovakia.

If you are interested in history, museums then Trnava itself is one of the oldest cities in the country, called "Little Rome" since it has a lot of churches... Bratislava - the capital city is 25 minutes away by train and offers a lot of historical sights as well. 24th of august also begins the reagge festival called Uprising (I personally prefer festivals such as Wacken).

I believe that this portal http://www.slovakia.travel/ might help you to decide whether go or not. Sport, culture, whatever.

Also the prizes - they were chosen to be all legal in Highlander and by rarity level rather than power level, with exception of 8th place :). It has to be bitter place - a bit at least. Also I plan to bring some alternate prizes.

MMD

Thanks, for your invitation! I really hope that you will have success with this tournament.

I was really happy that Slovakia has a Highlander community and that some of your guys attended the last German Tournament in Frankfurt (I played against 2-3 of them) but I doubt that you will reach the expected attendance as Trnava seems a little bit out of area for many German players.

Even the German Highlander community is regional. We have about 3-4 regional Highlander communities which only come together 1-2 times a year because the distance is already a problem here in Germany.

Please don't be offended but just that tournament and sightseeing around Trnava will IMHO not be sufficient for most of the Non-Slovak Highlander players to join. Even if most of them would like to attend the tournament itself, they would have to spend 3-digit €'s and 2-3 days (no direct flights and around 10 hours per car).

However, I wish you success with your tournament. If you want to advertise your tournament in Germany you should also do this here, as this is the only active forum for Highlander in Germany: http://www.mtg-forum.de/forum/221-highlander/

Feel free to browse through my MKM account:

http://www.magickartenmarkt.de/index.php?mainPage=showSellerChart&idInfoUser=13199

I also have a huge amount of chinese and japanese foil HL staples not listed yet,  which I would like to downgrade to english foil. Just let me know!

Mir

Hi. The main goal is to bring players from all around of Europe to the table and play. I noticed that each separated community has its own meta and I am eager to see them in battle.

I understand that the distance is the real problem. If you want to travel here its possible by train (more than 9 hour trip if you are traveling from Berlin), or if you have the possibility to use flights you can travel to Vienna which is circa 1 hour away from Trnava.

Currently the best location I found since its close enough for Austrian, Czech and Slovak players. If 2 or 3 players from Germany join the tournament I think its worth advertising it in Germany. :)

Thanks for the tip.

RS

Hi,

I am one of the slovakian guys, who were in Germany, near Frankfurt at tournaments this year(both, january+april).

Speaking for us, WE DO NOT HAVE ANY CONNECTION WITH MIR. He is pretty famous in our country for his "special" thinking, head in clouds, and ability to DO NOT take advices from more successfull and more skilled players/organisators.

I dont want start flame war here, just sayin, that we do not share Mir's ideas. We really enjoyed tournaments in Germany, so we dont want to be considered as fools, just because one crazy guy.

Tournament as itself, doesn't really need any commentary.

Regards, Ivan (Thibir's brother  :) ).

MMD

I don´t think that anyone here thinks that someone who has dreams and thinks out of the box is a fool. Without this there would be no evolution and progress. I just wanted to give a realistic and I think objective estimation to avoid frustration. I think everybody who is actively promoting the format is an advantage for the Highlander community and I can only wish him good luck and success with this approach.
Feel free to browse through my MKM account:

http://www.magickartenmarkt.de/index.php?mainPage=showSellerChart&idInfoUser=13199

I also have a huge amount of chinese and japanese foil HL staples not listed yet,  which I would like to downgrade to english foil. Just let me know!

Selar

Quote from: MMD on 01-08-2012, 07:17:29 PM
I don´t think that anyone here thinks that someone who has dreams and thinks out of the box is a fool. Without this there would be no evolution and progress. I just wanted to give a realistic and I think objective estimation to avoid frustration. I think everybody who is actively promoting the format is an advantage for the Highlander community and I can only wish him good luck and success with this approach.

Come and see, and you will find out, why Ivan wrote what he wrote.

pyyhttu

Ivan, RS and Thibir: you guys want to pass Moat or consider attending?

Thibir

I will definitely come to this tournament. It is great, that somebody is trying to do something for our community and format. Our point was, that Mir has zero experience with organizing magic events or even tournament play as player... And the prize pool is really weird...

Mir

I have made few small events last year, but none was focused on the part of community you represent. They were for new and less experienced players.

Also for the same reason I am cooperating with Fenix Games club since they have as much experience as you guys have.

RS

Hi again,

I have some technical questions about tournament:

1. What condition/language is Moat? Because played ITA is avalaible from 100euro, but nm ENG is from 170e. Big difference.

2. What is meant by deckchecks? Do you want to collect all decks with decklists at 8:00, check them all card by card, and meanwhile let all players wait for 2 hours?

3. This is written on your site in ENG language:
Quote from: quickening
eight best players will qualify to a second (final) round next day.
What/which next day?

Regards Ivan.

Mir

1. Moat is in english.
According this guide: http://www.cardkingdom.com/static/grading is in Excellent or "Very good" condition. If interested I will consult the condition of the card with expert. According to cardkingdom the price is over 200 dollars at all scenarios, and yes I understand that price of the card may vary shop by shop. Abugames has even higher price.

Most worn card is Word of Command which is in "Good" condition. Rest is in "Mint/Near Mint" condition.

2. Thats the reason why we are preparing also Sideevent. Decks will be mainly checked if they have proper opaque sleeves, no scratches on the back of the cards, accidentally added banned cards and overall if the deck comply to other rules of Highlander.

3. Thanks for notification. Thats mistake. Second round will begin same day.

Mir

Side-event has been planned. It will be draft in old editions - Visions, Mirage and Ravnica.

Vazdru

good luck - hopefully your event will be successful altough i do not expect many player coming from far away (100 km+)

any promotion and dedication for our format is honorable  :) thx for your effort
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.