Main Menu

Thoughts about the current HL-Situation

Started by LasH, 06-01-2013, 11:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChristophO

@statistical imbalance:
For perfectly randomized decks the pretictand (of spells to land ratio) is the same no matter the deck size (for same land to spells ratios in the deck). But the variance increases very slightly for larger decks. The chance to the extrem outcomes increases very slightly (in the order of per mill). Statistically speaking the difference of the  number of no land hands encountered  for a sample size of 100 starting hands will be smaller than 1 for typical land to spell ratios when comparing 60 card decks to 100 card decks. The difference is so small that you should not be able to proove it easily (one would need a LOT of repitions to statisitcally proove the small margin of difference).

In reality decks are shuffled less than perfect of course. Especially shuffling your decks in two parts is problematic when you do not dissolve your big lump of lands after a long game properly. To calculate such effects is of course not possible. I can imagine that many 100 cards decks are a lot less randomized than 60 card decks especially in a fun game setting where people tend to skip thorough shuffling in between games.

As long as people shuffle their decks well there is no noticeble difference in highlander decks compared to 60 card decks regarding screw-flood scenarios.

@discussion 2007:
I am very grateful that we have such a solid council now. Having to read Sturmgott repeatedly tell people that should get lost was rather discomforting. It was also very interesting to read that many people brought up they very same concerns that have been brought up here and that Sturmgott argued against it by simply stating "without trying out the rules you can not take part in the discussion; and if you do you will see that I am right". People that claimed they did not like the rules even after trying were told to try longer  ;D

MMD

@ W0lf:

Perhaps we should abandon the mulligan at all and play "Every spell can also be every land type based on its mana symbols", so we all could build our 100 spells deck.  ;)

I am sorry for not beeing able to give you a serious feedback to your post simply because there is no valid argument in it.

@ berlinballz:

To 1.) If there would be a 60-80+15 Eternal Highlander format I would definitely play this. I have not enough time to train every Limited format and do not want to update my card pool intensively and periodically for any other constructed format. But I still want to play competitive magic, so Commander is not an option either. In Highlander I can use most cards of my pool for a lot of different deck types for a very long time. I also really like the fact that I just have to buy 1ea of every playable card of every new set, because this saves me a lot of money. I love this format although we have the Spoils mulligan.

To 2.) Actually this is the first time I did some number crunching. I did that because you cried for a proof and I thought it would be useful to show you that we do not (only) use the Spoils for the given reason (screw/flood) but to cheat mana/curve.

To 3.) I can just quote ChristophO here: We have an existing and diverse meta despite not because of the Spoils mulligan.

@ tonytahiti:

You misunderstand the definition "greed" and "flaws" because we use them in comparison to the original design of the game. Based on the HL rules these decks are not too greedy or have a lot of flaws. In fact the decks of most Spikes will look very similar. They are rightfully tuned to max the rules of our format. They do well in a tournament because their skill (deckbuilding and playing) is higher than the skill of their opponents, at least on the long run.

I can tell you we cannot easily "move on" together without a discussion about it because there is no such general 60 or 100 card mentality at all. Everyone has its own motivation and mentality and chooses his favorite format accordingly. A part of my mentality in Magic is not to cheat mana/curve thats why I argue.

@ Tuomas:

Thank you very much for your prompt and detailed explanation. As I have assumed there is a non-competitive background of this rule but it is very helpful for me to read that from a member of the council. So we just have to train to randomize our decks properly   ;)

So even if we stay with the Spoils mulligan there should be at least an update of the official statement to make the "real intention" clear for everyone.

I have never read the old topic of the "birth" of spoils mulligan before which was very interesting and enlightened. All German Highlander players should read this as it is a milestone of HL history and I really hope it will be history in near future. I have to thank Frank for its efforts to introduce Highlander to the community but I am very happy he is not part of the HL council any more. Sorry to say that, but his statements in the old mulligan topic show that no other opinion was wanted at all (least of all accepted).

I agree that screw/flood is perhaps the biggest flaw in Magic. I have even changed my mind during our discussion from Paris mulligan (C ) to Free mulligan (B) because I also want to decrease screw/flood starting hands just like the majority of all players. But Spoils Mulligan simply over-shoots the attempt to do that. I am quite sure that e.g. a free mulligan would be sufficient to nearly avoid screw/flood starting hands but would not allow cheating mana/curve.

I certainly have to accept the decision of the council but I am confident that there will be a change soon because I have the impression the council is objective and democratic enough to decide for the best solution for the format which is to remove Spoils, the Handsculptor  :)
Feel free to browse through my MKM account:

http://www.magickartenmarkt.de/index.php?mainPage=showSellerChart&idInfoUser=13199

I also have a huge amount of chinese and japanese foil HL staples not listed yet,  which I would like to downgrade to english foil. Just let me know!

Vazdru

Quote from: MMD on 18-07-2013, 06:35:42 PM

I have never read the old topic of the "birth" of spoils mulligan before which was very interesting and enlightened. All German Highlander players should read this as it is a milestone of HL history and I really hope it will be history in near future. I have to thank Frank for its efforts to introduce Highlander to the community but I am very happy he is not part of the HL council any more. Sorry to say that, but his statements in the old mulligan topic show that no other opinion was wanted at all (least of all accepted).

yeah, that old topic is worth beeing reread  :) ...although i don't feel the (my!) arguments and resentments against the spoils-mulligan have proven true in the last six years...completely  ;)

for all guys who don't like to read it, here my favourite analysis:

Quote from: HaJoIch spiele seit 13 Jahren Magic, seit einigen Jahren professionell vor allem auch andere TCGs an der Weltspitze. Vielleicht kann ich Euch ja etwas weiterhelfen.

Welche Regeln benutzt werden und welche Karten legal sind, und welches Powerlevel daraus resultiert. ist vollkommen gleichgültig. Die Menge der Karten und Regeln spannen einen Raum auf, in dem man sich bewegen kann. In diesen Räumen gibt es immer bessere und schlechtere karten und bessere und schlechtere Plays. Fast immer sind und bleiben beliebige Formate bei beliebigen Spielen spielbar, nur extrem selten degenerieren sie soweit, dass ein Decktyp unbesiegbar ist.

Insofern ist es vollkommen uninteressant, ob der Powerlevel in einem Format generell erhöht wird, solange nicht ein Deck unbesiegbar wird.
Das wird durch alternative Mulliganregeln im Highlander nicht geschehen, da keine ausreichende Konsistenz bestimmter Karten/Kombinationen erreicht werden kann.

Der Vorteil an verbesserten Mulliganregeln, besteht darin, dass man häufiger in der Lage ist, überhaupt am Spiel teilzunehmen, weil man Länder hat.
Keine Länder zu haben ist offensichtlich nicht der Sinn des Spiels, (auch wenn man das heutzutage gern mal fälschlicherweise behauptet bei wizards), sondern ein Fehler im Spieldesign (durchaus verzeihlich, das erste Auto war auch noch nicht besonders ausgereift, warum sollte das erste TCG es sein).

Der Nebeneffekt von verbesserten Mulliganregeln besteht darin, dass das Spiel potentiell weniger Züge dauert, weil man mit mächtigeren Karten auf einander einschlägt (auch nicht unbedingt, falls sich die mächtigen Karten gegenseitig ausschalten können, dauerts eher länger).
Dieser Nebeneffekt wird hier aber fälschlicherweise kritisiert.
Darum geht es doch beim Highlander spielen: Mit den tollen alten overpowerten Karten zu zocken.
Optimalere Hände gegeneinander zu spielen, macht viel mehr Spaß als sich langsam tothauen zu lassen, während man mana/color-screwed noch das Wasteland reingepresst kriegt.
An welche Games erinnert man sich denn nachher? An die wo man gegen T2 5/5er, T3 5/5er, T4 Armageddon noch gewonnen hat, oder an die wo man Manascrewed war bis turn 10?

Have fun  8)

Quote from: TheONLYone
Free Mulligan hat an sich einen super geringen Einfluß auf ein Format, erkennbar am 2HG z.B. kann man durch aus einfach 1Land cutten, aufgrund dem langsamen Format ist das aber nicht wirklich sinnvoll, damit spielt es am Ende keine Rolle ob man das tut oder nicht.

Im HL macht ein Free Mulligan das was ein Mulligan auch tun soll, nämlich "unspielbare" Hände entsorgen, ist eine Hand so das man sie spielen kann wird kaum jemand die Hand wegschmeißen, und da eben kaum eine Hand perfekt ist spielt man sie und hat seinen Spaß an der Interaktion die daraus passiert.

Was der Spoils macht ist wie "jetzt" schon tausendmal erwähnt aber immer noch nicht verstanden:
Er sorgt dafür das Karten "häufiger" auftreten, ganz einfach weil man Karte X "niemals" rejected und Karte Y "immer" rejected, das führt ganz einfach und ohne das es schwer zu verstehen ist dazu das man "gleichartigere" Spiele bekommt und nicht "mehr" Interaktion.

Simple Beispiele sind eben "Lackey" und co. Karten die einfach "broken" sind wenn sie Runde 1-3 kommen, die hat man und hält man und hätte man keinen Spoils würde man "geschätzt" halb so oft einen lackey haben und vor allem habe ich auch gleich noch die Möglichkeit Hände die zwar Lackey haben aber keine Synergie (sprich andere Gobos) einfach zu verbessern indem ich Non-Gobos "rejecte", es ist eine simple Sache und führt auch ganz einfach dazu was in "ca:" 20 Posts zuvor schon erklärt wurde.

Solltest du (Frank) irggendwelche Beispiele haben warum "genau" der Spoils dem Spiel hilft, dann gib einfach ein Beispiel, so schwer kann es nicht sein, den einfach sagen "Probierts aus" ist einfach, und wie "bereits" erwähnt spielen wenn überhaupt 10-X(würd mal schätzen 20) hier im Forum überhaupt so "oft" Magic das sie einen Unterschied bemerken können, weil einfach "1-Woche" den Mulligan testen kann einfach bedeuten 5-Spiele zu machen, was einfach gar nichts über den Spoils aussagt, da liegt man mit 100 schon krass über dem Schnitt und ich kann nur sagen was ich dabei beobachtet habe und ich habe wirklich versucht möglichst viele Decktypen abzudecken.

Ein Mulligan mit 0,1,6,7 Länder ändert effektiv was am Format, ganz einfach ist ein Mox gleich viel besser weil er effektiv die Chance auf Free-Mulligan erhöht (sollte er das?, NEIN), im Gegensatz dazu ist eine Maze an sich ein nachteil weil man damit einfach die Chance verringert damit einen "Free-Mulligan" zu bekommen, (sollte die Maze damit einfach schlechter gemacht werden? NEIN).

Ein Free Mulligan macht zumindest die Karten an sich "gleich", spart Zeit weil keine karten vorgezeigt werden müssen (was ich und so einige auch einfach nervt, sieht man ja auch an den vorrangegangenen Posts) und vor allem kann sich ein Free-Mulligan jeder "depp" merken, dahingehend muss sich jemand mit dem Spoils wirklich erstmal beschäftigen und jede Hand erstmal durchdenken (das kann manchen Leuten spaßmachen, an sich ist Magic aber schon kompliziert genug für die Mehrheit der Spieler).

Wie du erwähnst ändert z.B: die "100-Karten" Regel effektiv etwas am Deckbau, und natürlich tut es das, immerhin ist das ein gravierendes Merkmal des Formates und damit ist definitiv jeder einverstanden der sich auch nur damit beschäftigt ein Deck im Highlander zu bauen.
Das die "1-off" Regel ebenfalls etwas ändert ist genauso fraglos, passt dir das nicht spielst du kein Highlander, den genau das macht das Highlander aus.

Das Highlander sollte aber nicht durch irgend einen Mulligan "definiert" werden, besonderst nicht wenn dieser lange nicht so einfach zu "spielen" ist wie es vielleicht am Anfang scheinen kann, der Mulligan fügt dinge dem Spiel hinzu, was das Spiel einfach nicht braucht, damit auch der letzte das versteht, ein Beispiel:
Warum ziehen wir überhaupt Karten, an sich soll ja der Skill entscheiden und nicht der Random-Faktor, also stacken wir "alle" unsere Decks und schauen einfach wer gewinnt, dann kann keiner behaupten schlecht gezogen zu haben! (Will man so Magic spielen? an sich nicht)

Zitat:
Ich möchte Spiele, in denen beide Spieler ihr Deck ausreizen können.

Klar und das kannst du auch wenn du ganz normal deine Karten ziehst, und die ungewissheit was du ziehst gehört eben zum Spiel, wenn du einfach scheiße ziehst ist das effektiv kein Problem für das Spiel, solange du mit den Karten machst was möglich ist, verlierst du dann kannst du sagen du hast gemacht was ging und keine Fehler gemacht und das sollte ein gutes Spiel ausmachen, nicht ob du möglichst viel Interaktionen hast, den dann bist du ganz einfach falsch in einem Turnierformat, den hier kommt es darauf an zu gewinnen, optimieren, Meta-Kenntnisse, Regelkenntnisse, Spielpraxis, und "auch" Luck.
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

LasH

QuoteFirestarter

QUINTESSENZ:
verschiedene Deck profitieren unterschiedlich vom neuen Mulligan. gehen wir mal einfach nur auf den wichtigsten vorteil der verschiedenen decks ein:

Aggrodecks legen konstant die curve.

aggrocontrolldecks legen ein tier in runde 1-2 und protecten dieses mit countern

Stax legt immer curve und hat häufiger armageddon oder dicken carddraw

Controlle schafft es sein mana zu fixen. (Immerhin!)

TPS schafft ein gesundes Verhältnis von Combopieces und manaacceleration. tötet konstanter denn je runde 4 (erfahrungswerte vom singleplayerspielen auf MWS)

Also, kommt der Spoilsmulligan, werden verschiedene Deck mehr als andere davon beeinflusst und gepushed. Ich hoffe inständig, dass ihr euch das mit diesem Fremdkörper im Magic nochmal überlegt.

Well done Firestarter. And this with only 50 games.

Vazdru

preliminary result
http://www.magicplayer.org/forum/index.php?topic=934.msg9125#new

NO.      A) SPOILS      B) FREEMULLIGAN      C) ROAD TO PARIS      D) OTHER   
   1      W0lf (Ger, Berlin)      Payron (Ger, East)      pyyhttu (Fin)      Goblin-Diplomaten (Ger)   
   2      berlinballz (Ger, Berlin)      guru (Ger, East)      Tiggupiru (Fin)      orca- (Ger, BW)   
   3      tonytahiti (Ger, Berlin)      hitman (Ger, BW)      Nastaboi (Fin)      Wasser (Ger, NRW)   
   4      Tabris (Ger, Berlin)      Doks (Ger, NRW)      Lightstorm (Fin)         
   5      dynagfx (Ger, Berlin)      MMD (Ger, NRW)      SirGalahad (Ger, NRW)         
   6      Absolem (Ger, Berlin)      LasH (Ger, NRW)      MarcMagic (Ger, NRW)         
   7      Vazdru (Ger, BW)      ChristophO (Ger, North)      Pennywise (Ger, Berlin)         
   8      Maqi (Ger, BW)      JohnnyComboplayer (Ger)      cagain (Ger, BW)         
   9      goblinpiledriver (Ger, BW)      ~fenry~ (Ger)      helle (Ger)         
   10      Orkpopper (Ger, BW)            Assariah ()         
   11      peeler (Ger, NRW)                     
   12      effect (Ger, East)                     
   13      BallLightning (SVK)                     
   14      nahkampfhamster (Ger)                     
   15      Thaddeus (Ger)                     
   16      phyrexianblackmetal (Ger)                     
   17      haju (Ger)                     
   18      flashfreeze (Ger)                     
   19      Madsam (Ger)                     

i tried to locate clusters, therefore i added a regional component (plz send me PM if i classified/located you wrong or if I should add the region)

it's pretty obvious that playgroups Berlin and BW prefer spoils-mulligan while
Finland and NRW prefer a change

you can either say a clear majority prefers spoil-mulligan or
you can either say almost 50% of the voters aren't satisfied with status quo

it won't be an easy thing to decide which way to go :) actually i stay with A but consider if option B could be the better choice
Far below the earth

W0lf

Quote from: MMD on 18-07-2013, 06:35:42 PM
@ W0lf:

Perhaps we should abandon the mulligan at all and play "Every spell can also be every land type based on its mana symbols", so we all could build our 100 spells deck.  ;)

I am sorry for not beeing able to give you a serious feedback to your post simply because there is no valid argument in it.

Funny enough, alot of newer Trading Card Games use a system similar to the one you ironically suggested.
Simply because literally every Resource system is better than the one used in Magic.
You should try some other TCGs  in order to get a better understanding how TCGs work and which way they are actually fun
before you suggest Rule changes to the HL Format.
The spoils Mulligan improves the resource system of Magic, don`t get me wrong i love Magic ofc, but the game has it´s flaws and removing an obvious improvement is just a no go.

On a side note:

If you guys really just can`t be friends with the spoils Mulligan just go play Commander instead, it has your favorite mulligan so why you argue all the time?

dynagfx

Quote from: Vazdru on 19-07-2013, 01:26:41 AM
preliminary result
http://www.magicplayer.org/forum/index.php?topic=934.msg9125#new

NO.      A) SPOILS      B) FREEMULLIGAN      C) ROAD TO PARIS      D) OTHER   
   1      W0lf (Ger, Berlin)      Payron (Ger, East)      pyyhttu (Fin)      Goblin-Diplomaten (Ger)   
   2      berlinballz (Ger, Berlin)      guru (Ger, East)      Tiggupiru (Fin)      orca- (Ger, BW)   
   3      tonytahiti (Ger, Berlin)      hitman (Ger, BW)      Nastaboi (Fin)      Wasser (Ger, NRW)   
   4      Tabris (Ger, Berlin)      Doks (Ger, NRW)      LasH (Ger, NRW)         
   5      Vazdru (Ger, BW)      MMD (Ger, NRW)      SirGalahad (Ger, NRW)         
   6      Maqi (Ger, BW)      ChristophO (Ger, North)      Pennywise (Ger, Berlin)         
   7      goblinpiledriver (Ger, BW)      JohnnyComboplayer (Ger)      MarcMagic (Ger, NRW)         
   8      Orkpopper (Ger, BW)      ~fenry~ (Ger)               
   9      peeler (Ger, NRW)                     
   10      effect (Ger, East)                     
   11      BallLightning (SVK)                     
   12      nahkampfhamster (Ger)                     
   13      Thaddeus (Ger)                     
   14      phyrexianblackmetal (Ger)                     
   15      dynagfx (Ger, Berlin)                     
   16      Absolem (Ger, Berlin)                     
   17      haju (Ger)                     
   18      flashfreeze (Ger)                     
   19      Madsam (Ger)                     

i tried to locate clusters, therefore i added a regional component (plz send me PM if i classified/located you wrong or if I should add the region)

it's pretty obvious that playgroups Berlin and BW prefer spoils-mulligan while
Finland and NRW prefer a change

you can either say a clear majority prefers spoil-mulligan or

it won't be an easy thing to decide which way to go :) actually i stay with A but consider if option B could be the better choice

Why is hard to  decide? I thought this was a community poll... there are twice as many votes for A than for any other option!!!!

ChristophO

[/b]

Many (most?) voting for a change voted like this: B or C both better than A.
Therefore close to 50% of the voters would like to see a change regarding the mulligan.

dynagfx

is that how democracy works?

i you wanted to ask the question: do you want the spoilermulligan yes or no? you should have done that...

but given the options A wins...

In a prasidential reelection voting with A (45 %, being current prasident), B(35%) and C (25%) you cant say: Oh the majority is against A so he/she is out!

Vazdru

Quote from: dynagfx on 19-07-2013, 10:35:46 AM
Why is hard to  decide? I thought this was a community poll... there are twice as many votes for A than for any other option!!!!

i don't think it's that clear

as clarification concerning the community polls (sorry if I've forgotten to make clear this time)

Quote from: Vazdru on 04-07-2011, 08:36:54 PM

the decision will be democratically like always decided by votes of the council members
Far below the earth

dynagfx

Quote from: Vazdru on 19-07-2013, 11:05:26 AM
Quote from: dynagfx on 19-07-2013, 10:35:46 AM
Why is hard to  decide? I thought this was a community poll... there are twice as many votes for A than for any other option!!!!

i don't think it's that clear

as clarification concerning the community polls (sorry if I've forgotten to make clear this time)

Quote from: Vazdru on 04-07-2011, 08:36:54 PM

the decision will be democratically like always decided by votes of the council members

ok. :D

Are the council members elected by the community?

Vazdru

Quote from: dynagfx on 19-07-2013, 11:08:40 AM
Are the council members elected by the community?

why i was knowing you will ask this  :P

that's why i've written "democratically like always"
I don't want a debate here about democracy and legitimation of the hl council in general.

just open your own thread if you wanna discuss this topic with other community members...
and plz find / nominate some candidates for the hl council at the same, we are always looking for some !
Far below the earth

dynagfx

haju

Quote from: dynagfx on 19-07-2013, 11:08:40 AM
[...] Are the council members elected by the community?

No they are not, so what? Is there any format where the decisions are made only based on community votes or by an community voted instance?

Quote from: ChristophO on 19-07-2013, 10:50:09 AM

Many (most?) voting for a change voted like this: B or C both better than A.
Therefore close to 50% of the voters would like to see a change regarding the mulligan.  

Even if personally preferring the current spoils mulligan (possible because I have never played without and you know changes are bad  ::)) I think the growing dissatisfaction in the community is bad for the format and should be resolved as soon as possible. Maybe one could start tournaments (online/offline) like the one without Fetchlands to get better and public data regarding this situation.

W0lf

A majority of players is for the spoils mulligan simply because it's the right thing to do. Now accept it and move on. More crying won't make your statements more legit.